iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help First Log Structure!

Started by steadin, August 13, 2014, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steadin

So I was given a few acres that were cleared out to build on. I have a bunch of long straight beams cut. Mostly Red and Black oak. I want to build a post and beam or stockade log cabin. My 60yr father in law saw what timber I had down and told me it would rot to quickly and was a waste of time. He suggested to selective harvest whites. This cabin is going to be very small under 500 sq ft with a loft, reciprocal timber frame roof.  I will live in it while building my house. Id like to save as much white for the actual home as possible. After the home is built the cabin will be for guest/storage/ man cave.

The question is will the red oak rot to fast and be a poor choice. Or just go with it? Any recomendations on post beam or stockade. I looked up tree mechanics and red and whitw are very similar just that white is rot resistant and red is not due to tylus or something. Thanks in advance I plan on homesteading off the land as much as possible with little to no store bought items.  I live ina very remote part of the Boston Mtns in AR if that helps.

BCsaw

Hello steadin. Welcome.

As far as red oak specifically, I do not work with it as I do not have access to it.

I think the general rule applies here, that do not have the wood exposed to moisture of any kind. This includes concrete. I think that red oak will be fine as a timber frame.

I would hope one of the other members with oak experience would ring in to help out.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted on your progress.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, steadin. 

I am planning a log cabin bunk house built out of Red Oak and I am thinking Thompson's on the outside.  If/when I see any signs of deterioration, I'll just cover the outside with Poplar B&B. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

steadin,welcome to the forum. I'm no expect on red oak or any kind of wood. But if it did not take you 10 years to build it,you should be fine.  :D  Put a good over hang on the roof all the way around it,if concerned about it rotting. Get it up off the ground too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BCsaw

Great advice for any log or timber frame building.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

witterbound

We're neighbors!  I live near huntsville.  I'm a bealiever in post and beam or timberframe.  Just seems to me that they have less potential to rot in the long run.

Thehardway

Steadin,
Use what you have but take extra measures to ensure it is well protected.  Red oak has very little rot resistance and will readily soak up any water it comes in contact with and then rot.  It also has very little insulative value when it is in a wet or saturated state.

This means you need to do 2 things, 1) provide adequate overhang at gables and eaves to prevent moisture/water contact and prevent wicking of moisture up from sills and 2) seal the outside with something to waterproof the logs and make them repel and windblown moisture.

You could use a couple peices of white oak for the bottom sills and then stack the red on top, this would help and I would likely use white to frame windows and doors as well as these are sure to be places of high moisture concentration.  If you can't spare that much white, use Pressure treated SYP boards under your sills and seal the bottoms of your first course well with something like tar to prevent moisture absorption and rot.

Make sure your foundation whatever it is made of is well drained.

On the bright side, Red oak is less likely to develop deep checks than White is and can be a little easier to work with.  I think it will easily last 50 years if you choose good logs, keep it dry and sealed up well and provide good drainage.  Lesser woods have lasted that long.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

gimpy

Long overhangs, borate and keep the bottom logs off the ground. Consider 18" on piers. Don't mill the logs and seal the ends. Just peel em and stack em. That is basically how I will be building my log home. But I will be using northwest coast types of pine.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Thank You Sponsors!