iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2005 jd 648g skidder grapple head will not turn

Started by djs50girl, April 04, 2016, 06:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djs50girl

Does any one have a service manual or hydraulics diagram for this skidder? We've already checked the fuses and kind of at a loss. Any help appreciated

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

djs50girl

Thank you, I just went through that and was not able to find what we needed.

Firewoodjoe

All u can do is check your power and the hydraulics. Pop that cover off the top of the boom and be sure the rotator is assembled still. They have a issue of falling apart. Weve replaced the the joy stick and there's a squar valve in the grapple that will act up. But that will usually do one function. Like close the graple but won't open. Good luck

tj240

Check the wires in the switch, the ones that run up the handle, they are small and break easy.  The wires only  work the rotate or open close. if it is a duel arch with one stick it sounds like a broken wire. same forsingle arch. If none of the functions work, like the arch its a hydro issue. I hope this helps, and good luck.

work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

kiko

The grapple rotate control valve is located under the hydraulic tank. It can be identified buy the blue coils on each end.  This valve can be manually activated with a small screwdriver through a small hole in the nuts that hold those blue coils on.   

Logger RK

Not to change the subject,and since I don't know yet how to start one. I'll ask here. My friend has a JD 648E that goes in to park on its own. It's usually when Hyd pressure goes down. Say if u drop the blade or grapple while driving. He says he's changed Hyd pump & the charged tank they have on them. He's checked for any lines leaking.I have TF's so I'm not to familiar with them.

Firewoodjoe

Two of ours have done that too. I forget now why. I'll ask the boss man tomorrow. I was thinking it was electrical. These things always have electric issues. That and the engine last 6-8,000 hours.

kiko

The park brake works off transmission pressure. Check that pressure to see if it is low at slow idle.  Also the exciter wire for the starter is also the ground for the park brake release relay.  Check that relay . The switch that the shifter rod hits is also suspect. 

nhlogga

Quote from: logger RK on April 07, 2016, 06:38:24 PM
Not to change the subject,and since I don't know yet how to start one. I'll ask here. My friend has a JD 648E that goes in to park on its own. It's usually when Hyd pressure goes down. Say if u drop the blade or grapple while driving. He says he's changed Hyd pump & the charged tank they have on them. He's checked for any lines leaking.I have TF's so I'm not to familiar with them.

There is a switch that the shift lever touches when put in park that can fail. It is a button that the lever pushes against.  This problem happened to a 648G that I ran.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Logger RK

I'll pass the information along to my friend. Thanks for all the advice

Thank You Sponsors!