iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

siding-jig

Started by kevinlt15, February 06, 2010, 01:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinlt15

I am A newby here but this is my first post.
I am 42 I have A lt15  mill I live inwis. great day today 28 F. and I finished my siding jig  8) this afternoon Iwill give it A whirl hope it works :-\. I will try to put photos here my skills in computers are not good(yet).

What is good wood for making siding? right now all I have is red oak 16-20 inches,am I wasting good wood? Is this wood not good for siding?  thanks for any direction and help.

Kevin,

4genlgr

i'm not a sawmiller but i would think oak for flooring or furniture
pine or poplar/aspen for siding if you have a choice

sigidi

Kevin I'm not familiar enough with your US timbers, so can't halp on that one, But welcome to the forum all the same ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

sdunston

Ceder and hemlock are good,Lets see some pictures of that jig
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

bandmiller2

Kevin,I think that oak would tend to bow and crack.Cedar is probibly best pine is good if you protect it with stain or paint.And welcome you'll have to show us the jig you made for siding.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brad_S.

Welcome Kevin.
Red Oak is the absolute last wood you should use as siding. It has open pores that act like straws and suck in and hold water. I sided a barn with hemlock (good choice) and inadvertantly mixed in one red oak batten. in less than 5 years, the batten decayed and rotted off. And it was on the leeward side.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

KyTreeFarmer

Hi Kevin
Welcome to the Forum! Would love to see pics of your siding jig. I would agree that cedar or some sort of pine would probably be better than the red oak.

KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

kevinlt15

8) 8) 8)      Itworked great. the jig handeled the sawing great.  the pics are in the prosses.
thanks for the input on the wood choices I don't have many options Idid saw poplar that is one species I have.
the rest is birch,red-white-burl oak, soft maple,and ash. after about10 hr. on this used mill I am getting used to running it.

thats all for now
                               kevin

Magicman

kevin.....Welcome to The Forestry Forum.  What you are doing sounds interesting and I know that it will be fun.  One key to siding or roofing is what you put behind them and their ability to dry after it rains.  One of the chief rotting elements is wood that stays wet for a prolonged time.  Think ventilation.  Good luck with your project.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kelvin

Contrary to what seems logical, softwoods weather better than hardwoods outside.  White pine is super soft and will rot quick when in contact with the ground, but we have unpainted barns with 100 yr old white pine siding.  Doesn't look great, probably done, but hey 100yrs?  The exception to oak on the outside is white oak.  Red oak rots quick, white oak lasts a long time.  Though the guys are right about cupping as it dries.

Walnut is good outside and well as cherry believe it or not, but you might get some furniture makers who get out of their cars and try and beat you up if they see you sided your house with cherry!
Make sure to prime both sides if painting.  Want to see your jig.  Did you use pipe clamps to hold cant?

You don't really need to bevel siding.  If you cut 1/2" thick you can just shim the first piece and the subsequent pieces will be in a flat plane already, though bevel is nice.  Whichever you use, drying first will help.  Use stainless nails, or good galv as there are cheap ones that don't last and will come through your paint when they rust.
KP

bugdust

Kevin,
I too am a Woodmizer owner and just completed an 18'X32' "storage building" that honestly looks more like a house. I am planning to install hemlock . I've hung a couple pieces just for show and it really looks good. I will follow up with a good grade of wood stain to protect from the elements, or else it will weather to a dark color. Good luck and lots of dust my friend!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

kevinlt15

help Igot the photos to my album but cann't put them here. how do I resize them?

Magicman

Quote from: kevinlt15 on February 10, 2010, 11:50:32 AM
help Igot the photos to my album

Did you mean to your "album" or to the "FF Gallery" ?  If they are in the Gallery, they are already sized.  Just click on the picture that you want to post, and then scroll down to the line that says "Click here to copy this photo code........"  It turns green when you reach it.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Go to your gallery. Go to the picture you want to use. Scroll below it to find the code to use in your post to make your picture appear. Copy that then paste it in your post

The code that looks like this:
[IMG] https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/20845/2697/siding_jig_001.JPG [/IMG]

Will produce this photo:

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kevinlt15

thanx jeff I'll give it A try

Thank You Sponsors!