iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Monster on the mountain

Started by chain, January 04, 2012, 10:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Went hiking today to check-out a property line on a rugged and rocky side of a so-called mountain, only about 1200' el. Nevertheless, I brought along my lite-weight 410 ga. three inch and loaded with a slug. I was also looking for feral hogs too.

Crossing a rocky glade and just over a rise of Shortleaf-pine and post oak I began to hear a faint rustle, another step and up jumped a varmint that startled this fearless hunter for a moment! It was a very large armadillo, but in January, and the temp about 38 degrees? I honestly thought the 'dillos hibernated in these parts! I fired but he scrambled into the middle of a rock pile and disappeared.

But what has changed over the years with added-on critters to worry about that we hadn't had around here..ever..or, in fifty or more years...the armadillo, the black bear, the mountain lion, and feral hogs!  :o

Magicman

Armadillo's are digging machines.  They will completely wreck your yard in a night.  We are infested with them.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

We have skunks for lawn ripping. But they are sleeping now, can't blame them. Too cold.  ;D

Black bears surely must be indigenous to Mo. What about all them stories they tell about settling the west with the black bear invading the chuck wagon? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

The bears all but dissapeared and were re-introduced, at least in Arkansas. I assume the same goes for Mo.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pigman

The only armadillos I have ever seen were laying on the side of the road on their back sunning themselves.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

At one time, bears here were a rare sight. This would be back in the 19C. Once the river valley got settled and there were sheep herders about, the bears got thick. So they had to have a bounty. Probably same in Mo. We still have a regulated hunt twice a year and we still have lots of bears. I see way more bears on farms than back in the "wilderness", all that feed.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chain

We're about fifteen miles east of a area where Black bear , a mountain lion or two, and feral hogs are seen every year. Very rugged territory with large rocky areas of wilderness and forest cover, part of the Mark Twain Forest area. Most bears have migrated up from Arkansas and moving generally east and north in Missouri. Black bears are still protected state wide. The 'cats, the authorities say, are moving down the Missiouri river valley from S. Dakota and Nebraska. Don't think they've documented a true breeding population in Missouri yet, but is highly arguable to those who have encountered young 'cats.

The armidillos have the fatal habit of jumping straight up when startled[me too], makes for good road kills. I have found a few dead 'dillos in open fields as they appeared were crushed in the jaws of  a 'yote or dog.

treefarmer87

no critters are sleeping here, tomm. is last day of deer season and the temp is going to be 68 :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Woodwalker

We use to be overrun with dillers here in east Texas, ya'll get you some fire ants, they'll take care of most of the dillers.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

shelbycharger400

critters.. i have seen more possums here in minnesota in the last few years, i never thought they were here.
we have big cats, yotes, fox, and wolves, moose, bear, and probably a sasquatch , lol... last of all.. most dont know it but we have fire ants here now too.  feels the same as the pta's in florida, look the same too.

SwampDonkey

We've got it in different areas here.

https://www.halifax.ca/pesticides/EuropeanFireAnt.html

They recommend Borax and sugar mixed in water and that's what I use on all ants. Cleans them right up.

Woodwalker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 06, 2012, 10:21:58 PM
We've got it in different areas here.

https://www.halifax.ca/pesticides/EuropeanFireAnt.html

They recommend Borax and sugar mixed in water and that's what I use on all ants. Cleans them right up.

Think ya'll have the tame ones Myrmica rubra Linnaeus, we got Solenopsis invicta, they thrive on what kills most other insects.

SwampDonkey

I can bet they won't thrive too much on Borax, that'll kill anything. :D

Woodwalker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 06, 2012, 11:34:25 PM
I can bet they won't thrive too much on Borax, that'll kill anything. :D

wonder how the things survive the winter up there? We have always been told that the freeze line depth will limit the northern expansion of the Red Imported Fire Ant.

SwampDonkey

Insects will be the last to die as they pick the last piece of flesh off our bones. ;) We have all kinds of ant species, fire ants is just another one to contend with. ;D

Woodwalker

Chain, I've heard some old boys cross the river in Louisiana call dillers "possum on the half shell" :D

Red Pill

Quote from: pigman on January 05, 2012, 08:58:01 AM
The only armadillos I have ever seen were laying on the side of the road on their back sunning themselves.

Why did the chicken cross the road? To prove to the armadillo that it COULD be done.

In north Texas we still have lots of armadillos, in spite of having lots of fire ants.

SwampDonkey

Do they not eat ants? Here skunks and especially bears, will destroy ant hills.  This past summer I was cleaning a spruce plantation on a field with my brush saw. The bear there had 20 + ant hills all torn up. ;D

Magicman

Yes, they dig into Fire Ant hills and eat what they find, but nothing gets rid of Fire Ants.    :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Pill

Do you know why you see so many intact armadillos on the side of the road? They jump when frightened. People straddle them, and they jump up into the underside of the car. We used to get in a ring around one, and try to keep it in the ring. You wouldn't believe how high those critters can jump.

Thank You Sponsors!