iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compact tractor log trailer

Started by John Mc, August 15, 2015, 10:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I'm looking for recommendations on a trailer to use with my compact tractor when ding small scale logging. The high end forwarding trailers are just too much $$ for me to justify with my limited use. It seems as though there is a huge jump in price between those designed for use with an ATV (under $2000) and those designed for use with a tractor (well over $10,000). I'm looking for that middle ground.

It would be nice if it were convertible from log bunks to a dump bed. I'm not looking for a boom with a grapple at this point. It would be nice if that were an option I could add later, but I have no problem loading with my tractor or using a winch to parbuckle or pull a log up over the end  - either pulling up a ramp or with something like the "DanG Deadhead log lifter" (if I'm remembering that name correctly).

One possibility was the T-Rex Trailer or the Woodland Trailer by Woodland Mills. Of the two, I think I'd lean towards the Woodland Trailer. The boom on the T-Rex is too limited in capacity to bee of much use to me, and that limit also limits the dump capacity to 650#. With the Woodland Trailer, you lose the boom, but gain the ability to dump the full trailer capacity of 2000#. On either, you can remove the dump bed easily and use it for longer logs.

The trailers are designed for use behind an ATV or Compact Tractor. For me, the only shortcoming of these is the 2000# capacity. I'd love to find something that could handle 3000# (half a cord of green Beech or Oak), or even 4000# and still had the ability to dump at least a 2000# load. And I'd like to do this without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions of brands/models I should consider? Used is also an option, but I'm not looking for another "project".
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

47sawdust

John,
The Sawmill/woodlot magazine had an article in the Oct/Nov issue about a conversion of 4 wheel wagon running gear with bunks for log forwarding.It seems like a good way to go if you have room to maneuver and a grapple on your loader arms.
It might be worth a look.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

John Mc

Thanks, 47sawdust. I'll see if there is a copy available online.

I don't currently have a grapple, but it's on my wish list. Loader is only rated for 1000 or 1100#, so the grapple needs to be light. Debating whether to go with that, or wait until I see if it's worth getting something to mount on a trailer. I have a backhoe for the tractor that I've wondered about adapting, but then I lose the ability to mount the winch on my 3 pt hitch

EDIT: I went to order the Sawmil & Woodlot back issue online, but their ordering web page does not seem to be a secure page. I'm not going to risk entering credit card info on an insecure page - especially when there is a note up that they are having problems with their web site. I'll have to give them a call on Monday.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Sawmill & Woodlot must have fixed something. Their purchase page is now showing as secure. I ordered the issue with the article on converting old running gear for log forwarding.

Puffergas

You can never have too many trailers or wagons and to modify one isn't much work.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Ed_K

I have a 3 ton hay wagon that I put 3' channel above the x with a 45 deg weld to protect the tires.Works good but the axles are to wide for woods rds.
Ed K

John Mc

Quote from: Ed_K on August 23, 2015, 03:15:23 PM
I have a 3 ton hay wagon that I put 3' channel above the x with a 45 deg weld to protect the tires.Works good but the axles are to wide for woods rds.

That's one of the things that's giving me pause... I need to find some running gear that is narrower. I also don't need something that will hold as much as what some of you guys use. 4000# is plenty.

Thank You Sponsors!