iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw recomendations in a confusing time???

Started by 747mopar, February 12, 2018, 07:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

And lastly yesterday I sold my old reliable favorite saw, sure hated to see her go.
My West German 1989 Stihl 044AV 10mm.
But I did sell it to a young local kid who promised me he will bring it back regularly for sharpening and servicing. :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HolmenTree

Quote from: Southside logger on February 13, 2018, 10:02:29 PM
Has that 272 ever seen wood? Wow!
Didn't see wood for over 20 years until I bought it 4 years ago. I couldn't help myself and cut a few trees with it and then put it into storage until now.
Here's the piston when I sold it a few days ago. Ring is not even worn in shiny yet plus not one scuff on the piston's oil ridges.

pinefeller

for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: pinefeller on February 13, 2018, 10:35:06 PM
going out of business sale? lol
I gotta buy a new fleet of saws for a tax write off. Plus sell the old ones before their worthless.
Going all Stihl again after trying out Husqvarna for the first time in the last 10 years.

Southside

You need a tax write off and I need a kiln - Lets do Lunch!!!  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

realzed

Willard - I see you managed to find some good cleaner that worked obviously very well for you - what did you end up using?
Hope your wore you PPE when doing all of this - you know the Gloves and Apron..  :D
Randy

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on February 14, 2018, 06:07:42 AM
Willard - I see you managed to find some good cleaner that worked obviously very well for you - what did you end up using?
Hope your wore you PPE when doing all of this - you know the Gloves and Apron..  :D
Randy
Randy- I had to install an exhaust fan in my small workshop to deal with the fumes haha.
I'm still experimenting but this is what I used so far. The Simonize rim cleaner seemed to work dissolving sap and gum on the covers. I sprayed all the covers with it inside a plastic tote (pictured) and let them soak for about 8 hours.
Then the elbow grease came in. Nylon pot scrubber, plastic bristle brush, air gun.
Metal parts brass brush and good old SOS soap pad.
Polishing... the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound lightly polished with the die grinder worked great.
Last picture shows a bar I cleaned up nice with a belt sander and finishing with 320 grit sanding block.
But I tell you the hardest thing to clean on a saw is 3 year old dried on spruce gum. That stuff is tough!  No wonder why the natives used it for thousands of years to glue together their birch bark canoes :D

Wood Shed

Have had my huskie 562xp over a year now and it quickly became my go to saw.  Been feeding a CB 6048 for 12 years and in door wood burning boiler for 15 years before that, you can not go wrong with either the 562 or 372 or their clones for that matter.  My stihl saws are back up now.  As for 562 starting problems go to google for many videos on propper starting cold, hot, or flooded 562 as I had to do.  No problems now.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

747mopar

Quote from: Wood Shed on February 14, 2018, 12:35:05 PM
Have had my huskie 562xp over a year now and it quickly became my go to saw.  Been feeding a CB 6048 for 12 years and in door wood burning boiler for 15 years before that, you can not go wrong with either the 562 or 372 or their clones for that matter.  My stihl saws are back up now.  As for 562 starting problems go to google for many videos on propper starting cold, hot, or flooded 562 as I had to do.  No problems now.

I'm set to go now, managed to borrow both a 562xp and a 372xp so I'll literally get to run them back to back for good comparison. I'll have to measure this bar but the thing has to be 36" long!! I'll post my experience once I get the 562 in hand.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Southside

That will be an interesting test for sure, look forward to your test results. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

DelawhereJoe

If possible cut the same amout of wood with both saws on different days to see which one makes you the most tired/ fatigued.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

747mopar

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on February 14, 2018, 11:16:36 PM
If possible cut the same amout of wood with both saws on different days to see which one makes you the most tired/ fatigued.

I doubt I could tell, I'm still sore from a day of clearing brush and dragging trees around lol. That's not a bad idea but I hate to run somebody else's saw for very long.

HolmenTree

You're going to be more tired swinging a 372XP around versus a 562XP.  But straight bucking firewood the 372 will out produce.
Here's my 2012 562XP I'm getting rid of, still excellent compression and tight main bearings.
I got 2 people coming over today who want to take a look at it.

747mopar

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 15, 2018, 11:23:34 AM
You're going to be more tired swinging a 372XP around versus a 562XP.  But straight bucking firewood the 372 will out produce.
Here's my 2012 562XP I'm getting rid of, still excellent compression and tight main bearings.
I got 2 people coming over today who want to take a look at it.

This is why I want a side by side comparison, the first thing that starts giving me trouble is my back (bending over for a long time kills me). I'm interested to see if getting threw the cut quick with a heavier saw with less bending time helps or if the weight difference cancels out the quicker saw time? Like mentioned before I got the 450 for the woods,  this one will be for straight firewood where it's all in one neat pile  (no lugging it around).

What are you asking for your 562?

HolmenTree

Not sure if I'm allowed to post prices or sell here.

747mopar

Hilltop366

My experience is the heaver the saw the more it's going to hurt my back.

I'm comparing my old Dolmar 115 (52cc) and a Stihl 361 arctic (59cc), there is not a huge difference in weight but for someone that only cuts wood a few times a month my back really notices the difference. I also notice that the Dolmar 115 seems much better balanced and comfortable to use for me so that can make a difference as well.

Getting the logs up to hip height when practical make all the difference.

Gary Davis

I like sthl  but that is all I have ever used there number as close to there cubic inch 360 3.6 cu in ,390 3.9cu in,  440 4.4 cu, 460 4.6 cu in I had a 390 with a 20 in bar and in small wood it cuts about as fast as the 460 but in 30 in wood the 460 will cut twice as fast, different saws are going to feel different for me the 360 is more compact then my 390 was and because its a commercial saw it is lighter and a bit more power.   as for bending over to cut I don't I pic the log up on the forks of the tractor it keeps the bar out of the dirt and I don't have to roll the log 

JW IN VA

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 13, 2018, 10:58:55 PM
Quote from: pinefeller on February 13, 2018, 10:35:06 PM
going out of business sale? lol
I gotta buy a new fleet of saws for a tax write off. Plus sell the old ones before their worthless.
Going all Stihl again after trying out Husqvarna for the first time in the last 10 years.

i know of a very worthy charity down here in Va which will take some of that extra money off your hands ;D

JW IN VA

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 16, 2018, 10:50:13 AM
Not sure if I'm allowed to post prices or sell here.

Isn't there a For Sale section further down that you can use?

Spike60

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 13, 2018, 10:17:15 AM
Quote from: Southside logger on February 13, 2018, 12:19:18 AM
Welcome to the Forum.  I have not heard of chinese  carbs on the pro line of Husky saws,
Southside, actually the Husqvarna XP carbs are China made. I ordered this carb for my 346XP

Willard, Southside is actually correct there; the 372 does not use a Chinese carb. 372's along with 390's and 395's all use Walbro carbs that come from Japan, USA, or Thailand. I have Walbro carbs in stock from all 3 countries. Posting a pic of the Zama carb for a 346 while we're talking 372's is a bit misleading.

That being said, there's a huge difference between a Zama and  the typical "Chinese carb".  Nothing wrong with a Zama at all; excellent quality.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

747mopar

So I finally got both saws but I was mistaken when I said I was borrowing the 372, it was a 576. I headed to the woods to find a good test and found a freshly fallen 20" hard maple tree.. perfect! Very impressed with both saws, the 576 had a big bar maybe a 32" or bigger and effortlessly cut threw everything even when pushing it with no signs of dogging. The 562 was noticeably down on horsepower but you really had to work it hard to even notice it, harder than I ever would in normal cirvumstances. Both started and ran effortlessly but with the 562 easily doing what I needed and weighing less I'm going with it. I only made about a dozen cuts with both but jumped back and forth so I'd have to restart both multiple times, I'd say whatever hot start issues the 562s had has been worked out.. fired everytime.

DelawhereJoe

The 562xp should be a great saw for you, when I went saw shopping I looked at it too. It would take a larger recommend bar 28" over the Stihl 25" so that told me it's oiler had a higher output over the Stihl. The good thing about the Husqvarna saw is you should be able to go into Lowes or Tractor Supply, if you had no other choice, and get a new bar and chain for it. I've run a Husqvarna 455 rancher and it cut well for a 3.5 hp saw but picking up 1.2hp and 5 more CC's will get the job done faster.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

HolmenTree

Thank You Sponsors!