iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Timer

Started by woodhaven, July 29, 2008, 06:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

I am the sawyer for an antique tractor club. We run a 48" blade and it takes at least a 50 HP tractor to belt up and be productive. I have sawed while powered by a 35 HP classic tractor and it works, but I needed to feed the log much slower. We usually run a day or two with steam power. That makes us somewhat "green" as we burn our waste to fuel the boiler.

Stay away from Disston blades as teeth are no longer available. One of my spare blades is a Disston and I intend to use it only when sawing junk logs. I have had two blades hammered by a shop here in MN and the repair costs ran $134 and $188. I have sawn with a band mill, but I prefer a circular mill as it is so much faster. It is also more traditional, which is a major factor considering it is operated at an antique tractor show. It would be impossible to belt a band mill up to a steam engine!
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Ron Wenrich

It sounds like your zoning officer is a full time employee of the township.  We have one like that.  When she first started, she went out and tried to get all those people with sheds in their backyards to either tear them down or get permits for the construction or installation.  She almost lost her job over that one as the taxpayers were pretty irate.

If it was me, I'd be talking with some supervisors on this zoning thing.  The zoning officer may be enforcing the law, but he isn't making it.  If worse came to worse, I'd think of running for the office or have someone else in a similar situation run for office. 

I would also become pretty much of a pain in the zoning officer's backside.  I'm certain he wouldn't allow the real estate companies to put up for sale signs on any of the houses in the area.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Toolman

Problem is Ron, after grandpap sold his mill, I was serving in military and then went off to trade school. There was an 8 yr gap when I inquired about sawing on property again. Otherwise, it would have been grandfathered in. This zoning guy is full time,appointed,not elected. I attended two meetings about 5 yrs ago (zoning board) A bunch of residents in the southern end of twp. complained about his arrogance and "selective" enforcement. The northern end of twp is all new developments and town homes. These people move in mainly from out of area and rarely get involved with twp business, yet they vote for the same ole same ole. We in the southern end are older homes with strong family roots. These meetings are like pi**ing into the wind. We just learned to play the game and look out for each other. The last few years has kept zoning guy busy up north with all new building projects.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

thecfarm

Seems to me you have people from "away",they like the way it in there,but they want to make it like where they came from.   ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

Its the same down here I am thinking of moving back into my grandfathers and fathers old 8 acre sawmill site it was a firewood railyard for about 100 years they closed the rail in 1965 and Puppa brought it and put a CCA treatment plant and sawmill and planer over the years They where the biggest employer in the district with 30 to 40 Blokes working there and out the Bush till the mill changed hands in1992  :'(
the mill ran up untill 2003 when the owner did a runner with the money about 40million dollars :o. The only things left are the treatment plant and about 1.5 acres of shedding  and a 10' high fence around it the new owner (1 of the creditors ) let th Idustrial Sawmilling 1 permits  lapse (18 hrs perday operation)but because its got the CCA plant there the council says that It can NEVER be rezoned to anything but that because it is classed as a contaminated site. The council has no prblem withus using
the site as a sawmill . but thats where the problem starts ::) .

As we are only 1 hr drive from Melbourne as property $$ soard down there we had a fair few city dwelling  IDIOTS that moved up here and brought the cheap land around the mill and have built more houses  ::)  >:( and their the ones that are going to cause the problems .

I was doing the rounds about 6 months ago just to get a feel for how people where going to react to the applacation everyone within 1/2 a mile apart from these to and the other  ppl they have sold houses to they all said they would have a problem with the mill starting up again  >:( to this I said didnt a 10' high acostic fence and land
a 3rd of the price as in the rest of the town tip Ya of to what the deal was down this end of town

I spose olny ticking off five ppl :'( out of 70 isnt bad ;D :D a couple of the neibours
suggested running 27/7 to run them out of town   :D :D :D
( I Wish it was that Easy  ::) ::))
I will do things by the book so they dont have a leg to stand on if I move there as im setup out the farm at the moment  Id like 3phase and sheds tho ::) ;D.

Chris McMahon

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!