iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best all round saw?

Started by 254sawguy, March 29, 2015, 09:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

254sawguy

So I've been thinking I like my 480cd its cool and a brute and all but 20lbs is not so cool :'( so in the next year or two I was thinking about setting aside some money for a saw I'm thinking a husqvarna but maybe a stihl what do you guys like for the professional saws? The budget would probably be 800 tops ??? Thanks 254sawguy
Husqvarna 480

NCFarmboy

365XT Husky/2166 Jonsered 71cc is best bang for buck.  Love mine!
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

254sawguy

I ve had my eyes on that it looks nice is it like. A 372xp I've run one of them and they sure seem snappy
Husqvarna 480

Southside

372XP, for $750 you can get one with a 24" bar.  The one I have is a monster, I plan to get another one before too long and will get it woods ported - can never have too much power!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawdusty1

Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Maine logger88

Quote from: NCFarmboy on March 29, 2015, 09:17:18 PM
365XT Husky/2166 Jonsered 71cc is best bang for buck.  Love mine!
Shep
X2 a little grinding and you have yourself a 372/2172 for a couple hundred less. I also like my 562s there a nice lite and powerful saw
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Holmes

Do you have safety gear?  You could get chaps , helmet, boots , and spend what is left on a saw
Think like a farmer.

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Andyshine77

Sounds like you want something a bit smaller and lighter. 60cc saws are quite versatile, ms-362, 555/562 or the Dolmar 6100 are all fine saw. To be completely honest, I own saws from 32cc to 120cc, the most used saw I have are 50cc. You can do a lot more with a good 50cc saw than you'd ever think.     
Andre.

254sawguy

Quote from: Holmes on March 29, 2015, 10:51:00 PM
Do you have safety gear?  You could get chaps , helmet, boots , and spend what is left on a saw

Yes i have chaps a helmet boots and gloves
Husqvarna 480

254sawguy

The 372 seems pretty maneuverable too
Yes I'm looking for a smaller saw weight wise but I'd take a look at a 50cc saw but I'd probably look for a 60cc to 75cc first
Husqvarna 480

Ianab

No one has asked what you are cutting?

I'm often cutting 3 -4 ft cypress, so my go to saw is a Dolmar 7900, which is still light enough to use for a decent time.

But that's total over kill if you only have 12" trees. Then a nice light 50cc saw will cut just as much, and it's cheaper and easier to carry.

But it's hard to go wrong the top of the line 60-70cc saws like the Stihl 36x or the husky XP equivalent as an everyday weapon for you average 12-24" trees
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Best all round saw? A very broad stated question. 
My theory is a lightweight powerhead with enough displacement and hp but is still well balanced enough to take a 16"-36" b/c. is my idea of a best all round saw.
Like Ian's Dolmar 7900 powerhead which is as lightweight as a 60cc-70cc class saw but enough displacement to handle up to a  36" b/c effectively[which some may dispute as the 36" for full time use]........is my 1986 Stihl 064 with a factory supplied pre heater winter kit. At 85cc and 14.1 lbs as its owner manual specifies, I found this was my best all round professional saw as I ran a 18"-28" b/c on it , with a 36" bar on hand if needed[again 36" is pushing the limit for the oiler capacity for full time use.] . For my use I used the 18" b/c the most ;)

But today since owning and running Husqvarna 338XPT, 346XP NE, 550XP,562XP,272XP,1st generation 372XP,576XP AutoTune and 395XP.
I have to say my best running and favorite 16"-32" Husqvarna saw is the 576XP Auto Tune  :laugh: Very nice running and smooth cutting saw for anything that I can throw at it.

And now that I think of it, the 576XP AT is now the top on the list of models offered by Husqvarna Canada, as the 390XP and larger saws are no longer offered for sale within the country.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

254sawguy

Sorry for an unclear description oops I would be cutting hemlock pine oak ash hickory and maples in my region ranging from 1ft-2 1/2 ft probably witha massive tree every now and then
Husqvarna 480

4x4American

I have a 362 stihl and a 372 husky.  I use the 362 way more, I love that saw.  The 372xpw rides smoother, but its a dog.  (71cc xtorq).  I have a 28" bar on the Husky and I think that's the main problem, just too big.  Whereas my 461 Stihl (fav saw) pulls a 28" bar without hesitation.  The 372 is stock, I want to send it for porting/polishing.  Maybe turn her into a Wicked Work Saw or Mastermind her.  Not decided yet. 
Boy, back in my day..

CR888

As lan says above, in order to give any useful advice we need to know the parameters of what you intend to mostly cut. An ms170 can be a good all round saw if your tending around your house, a 395xp can be a good all round saw if you mainly cutting 25"+ timber. A bit more info is needed to really give a good answer. On the others hand you could do what l have done and have 20+ saws to ensure all bases are covered....but that can end you on he couch!

John Mc

Quote from: Andyshine77 on March 29, 2015, 11:57:16 PM
... the most used saw I have are 50cc. You can do a lot more with a good 50cc saw than you'd ever think.   

X 2, especially here in the Northeast. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I were in the Pacific Northwest...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

$ooline

Another thing to think about is type of trees you're mostly getting into in my opinion.  Hardwoods or softwoods?  Being a firewood guy, I don't go after the softerwoods like pine/poplar unless it's for a removal type deal.  After running 50cc-60cc saws a long time I jumped to stihl 461.  Works great for me, but the 50-60cc did fine before.  Budget comes into play also I think.

HolmenTree

Decisions can basically only be judged if the saw is used for either 2 uses: "earning a living saw" or "all the time in the world homeowner saw."
Whether it's a 50cc saw or 85cc saw I see alot of bad decisions in using a too long of a bar/chain for any specified size of saw, in all different demographic areas regardless of wood size.

Myself where my saws make a living for me I need to have a lineup of various saws to keep things productive, but I always try to keep the "shortest as needed" bar on each model for the best ergonomics and efficiency .
As I mentioned of the Husky 576XP AutoTune being my most favorite "Best all round saw" that can handle a 16"-32" b/c.
My most used "go to saw" in my tree service company is from the 60cc class......the Husky 562XP- 18" and it doesn't even have felling/bucking dogs on it. :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Blackgreyhounds

60 cc class for all around.  I find my MS361 to be very capable and yet still light enough for almost anything.  With a 25" bar you could buck "an occasional monster tree" up to nearly 4 ft diameter with two passes.  Last year, I bucked up a 26-28" white oak  with my 361 and 20" bar.  Since then I have picked up a ported MS461  and yes, it's awesome for felling and bucking big trees, but it gets heavy really quickly compared to the MS361.  FWIW,  strongly prefer my CS2139 or MS261c for limbing.  MS361 is a great "all around saw."  Not the best for anything, but, very capable of everything, and all at a very comfortable weight.

hackberry jake

I agree with Blackgreyhounds. I have only ran three tanks through my ms362 and I can tell I am going to love it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

timberjack 240a

I would go with 60cc with a twenty inch bar. I have a 562xp and have run a stihl 362 quite a bit. both great saws. I have saws that range from an 017 stihl up to a 660. I grab that 562 every chance i get. Cutting hardwood 20-40 inch on the stump mostly. I used to think i needed all that 660 power but i think i get the same work done with the smaller saw. Plus after limming and lopping tops all day my arms don't feel like they are going to fall off.
When all else fails, cut it and see what happens.
2016 kenworth t800, rotobec elite, timberjack 240a, deere 450j, kobelco 70sr, mahindra 4035, to many saws to count

John Mc

Looked up the specs on your existing saw.

Are you looking for a saw to replace your 480cd, or complement it? I had assumed you were looking for one to complement your existing saw (which was why I had agreed with the 50cc suggestion).  If you are looking to replace it, then a modern 60cc saw would probably be a good match. The Husky 562XP and Stihl 362 both have slightly more HP, and weigh about 6# less. A Dolmar PS 6100 or 6400 are also somethign you might consider (power to weight ratio not quite as good as the Husky and Stihl models, but it's well made and power per $ tends to be better).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Spike60

"all around saw" can mean different things to different people. For each individual, I think it would be the saw which best covers the range of cutting tasks that he encounters. Some people just don't want to mess with big wood, regardless of whether or not they have a saw that can handle it. So, bigger CC's and bigger bars may be of no importance to some guys. If you tend to stay in under 20" wood, then a decent 60cc saw like the 562/2260 will have the power to handle it and still; be plenty light enough for limbing and smaller wood.

But the practical reality is that the best "all around saw" is having more than one. It's just so nice to have a couple different size saws and be able to grab the ideal saw for whatever you are doing. Nobody goes to the golf course with just one club.  :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!