iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

large three phase converters

Started by forester2009, March 06, 2014, 04:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forester2009

Does anybody have experience with rotary phase converters larger then 50 horse power
2006 WoodMizer lt70 Cat diesel Command Control,  Corley Two Blade edger, Case W7 wheelloader,  Old Hmc Debarker,  Cat Genset

StimW

I doubt if it's practical to try to convert a motor that big.
Here is a forum with a lot of phase converter info. - http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-vfd/

I built a static converter for $45. to use on 5 hp motors and I am running a 50 ton Ironworker, a 35 ton Ironworker and a 15 X 54 Cincinnati Lathe with it.
I got the build instructions from that site.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

sealark37

The problem with converting single phase to three phase in the higher horsepower motors usually comes down to not enough amperage at the single phase panel.  If you can provide enough electric current, converting to three phase is merely a matter of using larger components.  Schematics to cover every desire can be found at The Practical Machinist web site.         Regards, Clark

drobertson

Not over a 50hp, mine is a 40hp, no issues, steady as a rock.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scsmith42

I have a 30 hp RPC and it dim's the lights on the entire circuit when I turn it on!  I can't imagine what a 50 hp one would do...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

arkansas

I run a 50 Hp converter.  As long as I get it up to speed with a pony. No issues with lights dimming.
Working on a hot LT40HD for now

bandmiller2

Forester, the 70 I ran was from the factory three phase, it had a larger motor than really needed. My homebuilt bandmill has a 15 hp baldor three phase  plenty of power for the band and hydraulic pump. Be aware if you just replace the engine with the motor you will still need 12v for the controls and puter. I think a good 25hp motor (no over rated rim stuff) would be plenty and leave everything else 12v. My 15hp never gets more than warm to the touch. With an amp probe and time you can balance the legs of a rotary converter with capacitors. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

firecord

I got a 10kw st 3phase gen and 21 hp diesel in for sale sec if interested

Larry

Quote from: scsmith42 on March 06, 2014, 09:20:41 PM
I have a 30 hp RPC and it dim's the lights on the entire circuit when I turn it on!  I can't imagine what a 50 hp one would do...

In the terms of service from my local power company they can disconnect my service if I dim my neighbors lights.  As you found out that's easy to do with the bigger converters.  The last one I built uses a pony motor.  I can't believe how easy the rpc starts when its brought up to speed by the pony.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!