iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New blades for the bandsaw

Started by warren46, March 11, 2014, 07:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

I finally used the last of the pile of blades I got when I purchased my used Timberharvester mill.  I visited a saw sharpening shop in Polkton, NC.  The very helpful manager there suggested I try some i ½ inch .055 blades.  He knew my mill since he had supplied the previous owner with blades for the mill.  He also gave me a good tour of his shop.  Very nice, well equipped and clean.  I know where I will be getting my blades sharpened.

Did a little sawing with my new blades yesterday and it was sweet.  I am not certain if the difference is just new blades or the 1 ½ inch .050 thickness.  I am having some of the blades that came with the mill sharpened and they are 1 ¼ .o42 thick so I will be able to see any difference when I get them back.

The manager also gave me a gallon of "Band Ade" cutting fluid for wood (sold by Lenox).  Have any of you used it as a coolant on your saws.  It sure costs more than Dawn so I don't expect to ever purchase any.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

york

Warren,what size Band-wheels are on your mill??

thanks albert
Albert

Tom L

if I had to cut wood productively every day on my lt40 I would use nothing but 1-1/2" blades, they do cut much better than the 1-1/4" IMO , but like I am doing now the 1-1/4 are better for my hobby use.

Billbob

20 minutes ago UPS delivered 15 Woodmaxx blades.  Good price on them too.  $13.80 each plus $25 delivery.  I'll give them a try next week when I fire up the mill again.
Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

warren46

Quote from: york on March 11, 2014, 08:13:04 AM
Warren,what size Band-wheels are on your mill??

thanks albert

The Timber Harvester mill I run has 25" dia. wheels.  The band supplier says that is large enough for the .055 bands.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Thank You Sponsors!