iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the new orange saw??????

Started by STIHLFULLSKIP, January 28, 2010, 08:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Ripper

I've got my 670's shutter in the winter position at the moment.  Can't say it makes a huge difference other than in the first 10 minutes it doesn't seem so cold blooded.  I think the manual said something about preventing carburetor icing too?? But I've never had that trouble even when the shutter is not in the winter position.  I'm sure various regions of different temps & humidity levels will control how effective the shutter could be.
Echo CS-670, CS-330T, Stihl 028 WB

ihookem

A dealer near me said they are completely made in the USA except the motor. It is made by the biggest small engine 2 stroke company in the world. Is this true? It came from a Stihl/ Echo dealer.

petefrom bearswamp

Just picked one up NIB on ebay for $419.95 shipped to my door.
If you want one of these keep checking ebay.
I have been trying to get one for the last week and the prices vary a lot.
this replaces my bullet proof great running 17 yr old Husky 61 which is getting harder for me to start due to bad shoulders.
I am going to try to tune it properly so may need some help with the jets and muffler.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

trapper

for a handy easy to pour without spilling bottle.  check out the bottles your wifes laundry detergent and fabric softener come in.  That is what I use for my bar oil.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

petefrom bearswamp

saw came today was a great Ebay experience.
Started right up and I made a cut and it performed as expected.
The only downside is warrantee registration which says that it may only be warranted thru an
Echo dealer.
I am going to try to adjust the carb and muffler for higher performance.
What are the limiter caps?
How do I modify the muffler?
May need help.
pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Oops!
Just read thru th ethread and see how to do the mods.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

sbhooper

Just remember that when you do a muffler mod, the warranty is gone.
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Rocky_J

Quote from: sbhooper on April 10, 2010, 08:49:56 AM
Just remember that when you do a muffler mod, the warranty is gone.
If you're dealing with a shop that reads all their procedures out of a manual, then yes. If you are dealing with somebody who actually understands two cycle engines and how they work, then it really depends on what type of warranty claim you might need to make.

If you're willing to kill your saw in order to preserve the 'warranty', then by all means, please don't touch a thing and burn your saw up. It will most likely last slightly longer than the warranty period before turning into an oily doorstop. Then your dealer will look at it and tell you to buy a new one because it will cost too much to fix the old one.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Rocky_J on April 10, 2010, 05:17:35 PM
   Then your dealer will look at it and tell you to buy a new one because it will cost too much to fix the old one.
Unfortunately there is a lot of that going on . From my perspective I find a lot of good saws that way cheap which may or may not need some work on them .

You mention modifications and such done on mufflers and the benefits of running more fuel though them .Alas  though I fear it falls upon deaf ears  to a majority of folks like it's some kind of voodoo and heaven forbid the saw make any noise lest the chainsaw police  give you a ticket for noise pollution or some such thing . .

Funny though because I for one could trot out to my shed and show saws made 30 years ago before the EPA got involved in things that have lasted for decades with non resticted mufflers and cut today as good as they did when new .Fact is a few of them will hold their own against a modern saw .---2 cents worth of opinion ---

jumpinmp

Quote from: ihookem on March 31, 2010, 08:59:13 PM
  A dealer near me said they are completely made in the USA except the motor. It is made by the biggest small engine 2 stroke company in the world. Is this true? It came from a Stihl/ Echo dealer.

My boss has been to the Kiortz/Echo building in Lake Zurich, Illinois (right outside of Chicago?), and we've been told that the parts are mostly made in Japan and everything is shipped over to the US and assembled in Lake Zurich.  That could be info that's years old now and it could have changed... who knows.

As for the 600P.. I'm a servicing Echo dealer, and I've sold 5-6 of the 600Ps since they were introduced last year, and every single one of my customers who's bought them (loggers/homeowners/tree service guys) have come back in to tell me how much they've liked it.  Not a complaint, yet.  There's still time, though :P

miking

The cs600 really intrigues me and would love to try one out. My 530, 370 and 680 perform flawlessly stock and I see no need whatsoever to mod them after they've been tuned right. They're just tools to me but what tools they are. If CAD strikes me though, the 600 will be mine as well.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Al_Smith

Just as a point of clarification ,reworking a muffler is not the same as modifying the engine . All a muffler rework does is allow the engine to preform better without really changing it's port timing scheme .

For the engine to move more air it must be able to expel exhaust .More air equals more fuel,more fuel equates to more power .Try as one might you can't make power without fuel .

Red 93 L1 #3383

I also cut just a small opening in my gallon jug to fill my 1 qt 80w-90 gear oil bottle that I use to fill the saws with.  I have one bottle with a blue cap for winter oil & a red cap for summer oil.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

petefrom bearswamp

See my new post regarding intermittent spark
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!