iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ponderosa Pine Poles

Started by 904man, November 28, 2014, 11:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

904man

New to the forum and need some assistance.  I live in the Western Sierras at approximately 5000'. I'm would like to construct a pole barn using timber from my property.  I'm extremely limited on fir trees but have an abundant amount of Ponderosa Pine. Does anyone have any experience with using PP for the poles in my barn?  Personal experience, links or articles on this subject would be very much appreciated. 

Shawn

MT logger

If you char the sap wood they last a long time they also treat great being very pourous. I know of chared ones over 100 yrs old.

Ljohnsaw

Shawn,

Welcome to the forum.  Whereabouts in the Sierras?  I'm right at 80 and 20 at 5,800'.  I've got a pretty even mix of Ponderosa, white/red pine, cedar and aspen.  Very little oak (most standing dead from the shade).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jim1611

I don't have any experience in your area but here in Missouri if we put a pole or post in the ground it seems to last longer if you don't pour concrete around it. Filling with gravel seems to help get the water away from the wood. The only exception to this is if you're using hedge, osage orange and they'll last a lifetime in concrete.
Another option would be to set the poles on concrete pillars above the ground.
"Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath."

Thank You Sponsors!