iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

24 Foot Frozen Food Body

Started by Ga_Boy, May 23, 2004, 04:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

Since I posted this I have found 20' insulated shipping containers for $2k each.  These units are aluminum exterior with stainless steel interior. 8) 8)  I got me two of these units on order. 

Now, if I can just get the excevator contractor to come on out and prep my saw mill pad and kiln site for me I will be in buisness.  I should be picking up my outdoor furnance in a few weeks; just in time for summer. ::)

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

ronwood

Ga_Boy

What type of outdoor furnance are you planning to get. Will you be using it only the kiln?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Ga_Boy

Ronwood,

I have decided on a Heatmor.  I will use it to fire the kiln, heat my shop and house. 

No more Propane bills in the winter. 8) 8) 8)

Mark

oakiemac

Ga boy, that is exactly what I want to do. I am saving for an outdoor wood boiler to heat kiln, shop, house. I think it will more then pay for itself.

Where do you look to find your chamber? I have called a few places but haven't got an answer yet. My first kiln I used a insulated shipping container that is 48' long. for my second kiln I want to use a frozen food body or reefer because I won't have to have the spray on insulation guy come out again. To insulate the 1st kiln cost about $1200. :(
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

hawby

Oakie,

I am using a 28' reefer for my chamber. It has the roll up rear door and the small side door. I paid $800 for it out of Holland, MI. The guy delivereed for that price as well. ***Be sure to check your County ordinances. I have been notified that semi-trailers are NOT to be used for accessory buildings.*** I need to disable it from ever being used as a trailer again, and cover it. Now, if they would only issue the permit. :-\ So, in the meantime they have said I need to paint it... (camoflage it as a red barn) ???

Anyway, I am going to build swing doors on the back. I notice a loss of steam during the really cold days. The chamber ussually takes only a couple of hours to reach 80 degrees on a cold day. (That's a 4kw heater) When I get the Central Boiler installed, I am going to install a heat exchanger to keep the temp above 80. That way I will only use compressor electricity which is fairly efficient./

Mine will hold 2500-2800 fairly easily. The next goal is to build the carts. I plan on building two 14' carts. I plan on finding some accordian doors to expand/contract between the ends of the carts and shorter lumber. Most of my lumber is 8'6" to 10'6". Now if only the DanG Chinese would stop driving up the cost of steel :(. I looked at the recyclers last week and it is $90 per ton. I took up 1440 # of scrap instead  ;D  My back still hurts.
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Ga_Boy

Steve,

I am getting my shipping containers from K&K International, their contact info is:

800-714-5550
410-741-5550

The lady I am dealing with is Fanny; real nice and willing to help.

Regarding the my furnance, ny neighbor is a distributor for outdoor grills, tables and such.  He is getting my furnance at distributor cost and saving me a lot of coin.  When he need a fork lift or front end loader I let him use my tractor. 

Hawby,

The shipping containers use the swing out doors with gaskets and should not loose as much heat as the truck bodies.

This is one of the reasons I elected to use shipping containers over the truck bodies with the roll up style door.  I sure would like to have a side door for an entrance but that will have to wait, no $$$ for that in the budget.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!