iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 cyl. Diesel

Started by bandmiller2, December 12, 2007, 05:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I'am sure some of you farm boys have run a circular mill with a 2 cyl. JD,did you have any trouble with pulsing,belt flaping or outher problems??
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

Them old 2 cyl motors run real smooth, reason is a BIG HEAVY flywheel. My old pappy-in-law used to say he could cut off the fuel and still plow a half acre before the motor wound down ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Weekend_Sawyer

I plowed with a JD 40 gas. I loved the way it sounded under load. it was always smooth on the seat!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Don_Papenburg

You always put a twist in your belt , that keeps it from flapping and helps keep it on the pulleys.  If you run it parralel it will snap flap and jump off when you get a sudden load .    If your deere is pulsing when your at belt speed you need a tune-up or something more expensive.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Don_Papenburg

WS , I liked the sound of two of them two bangers plowing right next to each other.

we had the waterloo two bangers  so they sounded a bit differant then the Dubuque two bangers.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Sawmant

back in the sixty's we used a JD A to saw with diesel would even be better than the gas version we had.

easymoney

i have a massey ferguson 135 3 cylinder gas tractor that i have said must have a 600 pound flywheel. when you cut the switch off it takes a while for the motor to stop turning. at first it does not seem to slow at all. usually it rocks back and fourth a few times before it completely stops. it should have been a diesel since it smokes and rattles like the dickens.  : ::)

bigmillman

I have a w-111 JD Power Unit that has the larger belt pulley on it that was designed to be used on saw mills of the 1930's.  It is a "D" JD engine on a skid.  It was not used much on the mill and was replaced early with a 4 cylinder engine.  It will pull a thrasher good and strong, but I have always heard it was not the best engine on a saw mill because of changing rim speed of the blade.  I have seen pictures of these engines and "D" JD tractors on saw mills.  I have sawed on a mill powered by a 2 cylinder diesel JD (830) and it sounds good and seems to have power, but it is not the same power as a comperable 3 or 4 cylinder diesel like a Detroit or an International UD 14.

Stacey Freeman

Dave Shepard

Ive seen a D on a mill before, lots of wild belt flapping, but it was sawing. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!