iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tulip tree or Yellow poplar

Started by Gary_Watson, May 17, 2003, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Gary. I was thinkin that the skins would be stiff??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Hey Jeff, cool logs! 8) Is the desk done? Pictures! ;)

Gary,
I remember on one of my trips out west, reading about one of the lodges at either The Grand Canyon or Glacier National Park (maybe it was both) had logs cut for the lobby during the winter months when the trees had less water in them. I guess they didn't split as bad due to that. I think those were some kind of pine ... or maybe fir? I don't know how that would compare to Tulip tree, but it might be something to think about.

Jeff

Nope, the logs are in the house though. have been all winter. I got some very nice cherry from corley5 to use as the top. Its in here to I want this stuff as stable as possible so it will probably continue to dry through the summer. Tammy wants me to give up the desk and use the stuff to build an island for the kitchen.  I might.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dewwood

Tulip is very susceptible to end splitting.  They will start almost as soon as they are cut.  I don't really know of a way to keep them from splitting, some are much worse than others.  I have several on the yard now and even with end coating(which will not stop end splitting) most of them have developed splits.  For sawing you just try to orient the splits for the least amount of loss.  For canoe building I don't know what you do.

I think keeping them wet would help but I am not sure you could stop them then.  Warm weather would not be the time to cut them as this would be the worst time for the splitting to occur.

Hope you can work it out and get your oar in the water.

Good luck!
Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Furby

Paddle Dewey, its called a paddle in a canoe. ;) ;)

Gary_Watson

hmmmmm..... Ok now I'm kinda wondering what would be the most ideal time to chop down a tree, inorder to not have cracks in the log? is there really a good time ? and would it matter if the tree is conifer(cedar) or a hardwood like walnut... ? I'm thinking that the softer wood cracks less, is that right ?

???

Gary W.
"Watson is the real deal"

Furby

CHOP ??? Does that mean you are really going to use an axe for a tree that big ??? :o :o :o
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I want pictures of that! ;)

Fla._Deadheader

I think we would ALL like to see pics of that  ;) ;) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Gary_Watson

well...I guess I could chop it down with an axe but I first need the tree to chop!

I think my best bet is to find one on private land and offer the owner a few bucks! kinda like this, "hey Mr.! ya know that incredibly huge beautiful tulip poplar that you have growing in your back yard? yea yea... Well I'll give you 50 bucks for it right now! hah ahahha hahah"
yeah that will work!

Gary W. 8)
"Watson is the real deal"

Thank You Sponsors!