iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first saw job pics

Started by Jeff, October 24, 2005, 01:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Yep, you use a winch. Its a manual LT30. So far not a problem.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbowl

Jeff, what's the going rate PBF in Michagan for on site, custom sawen hardwood and pine?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jeff

Quote from: woodbowl on October 26, 2005, 05:22:42 PM
Jeff, what's the going rate PBF in Michagan for on site, custom sawen hardwood and pine?

How would I know?  :D  ;)

actually, I have started out with Tom's 20-20-20 rates.  20 cents a BF 20 bucks everytime I set up or have to move the mill and 20 bucks if I screw up a blade due to foreign objects in the log.

woodbowl

That's about right for this area as well with some slight variations. Around here when it gets harder to make the BFPH, due to small diameter, flute cedars or extremely hard/dirty log combo's, I switch over to $40 PH. They don't fuss a bit. I tell them if they can keep the bed clean and the next rolled up, I can stay on the controls and we'll get the most out of the time factor. I stay fresh and make $$$ too.  ;D I've done a test at .28c PBF on the same type stuff. They gripe and complain about it. Most of the time that is not quite equal to $40 Ph. ..........funny how that works out.  ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Ohio_Bill

Jeff, I just put one of woodmizers loader kits on my manual mill and It has really made things a lot easer because I am sawing by myself.  Looks like your doing a great job.

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Jeff

Bill, how is the loader kit powered? Seems like that has to be quite a big add on?

Ohio_Bill

Im not a very good picture taker  yet   .   The kit came with all the electrical hook up and hyro pump . I took about 5 hrs to install .
Bill
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Jeff

Does it take an auxilary battery? I gotta think my onan whith its internal generator would never handle that.  My LT30 is one of the oldest ones. Its a 1986.

Ohio_Bill

Jeff , Just looked at the book it came with and it say 1992 and newer . Im sure your right because of the charging .  On my mill I did not have to install a extra battery .

Bill
Bill

Jeff

Really, other then the safety factor, the ramps work rather well. Initially I had some trouble but it was because of the wrong overloads in the winch solenoid. It kept tripping theem as soon as there was a load. After getting with super winch, they got me the right amp overloads, and I was in business.  I had some 18 inch 12 foot long red oak logs to saw this week, and they rolled right up.

gmmills

Jeff,

Those are some really nice looking oak boards. It looks like the old circle sawyer has got this bandsawing thing well under control.   8) 8) 8)

You can add an external alternator to you Onan . WM had a bolt on kit for that engine.  It ran off a pulley that was bolted to the flywheel on the front of the motor . The kit was easy to install.  Took about an hour .  I converted my first LT 40 1991 model  from internal alt to a higher output external when I added a debarker kit. They say 1992 or newer because the 92 model year was when they changed to the new opperating console,all controls in one box, and the mills came standard with external alts. The alternators were mounted at the rear of the engine.  Don't let the lack of external alt hold you back from adding upgrades to your older mill. The 1991 and older hydraulic mills used an Onan with this front mounted external alternator.

Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Rockn H

Jeff, I just realized your mill doesn't have an external alt.  Mine is a '91 and it has one.  If no one beats me to it I'll try to post some pics.  It's a pretty simple upgrade.

Ohio_Bill, does the hydraulic loader get in the way of using the manual clamps?  That is if your using the loader to hold your slabs.  I would really like to add both a hydraulic loader and clamp, but I'm not sure if I want the loader without the clamp.  Whats your thoughts?

Bibbyman

Quote from: Rockn H on October 27, 2005, 01:04:54 AM
Ohio_Bill, does the hydraulic loader get in the way of using the manual clamps? 

We ran a manual LT40 for 7 years.. Mary operated the manual clamp from the "driver's side" when she sawed alone.  :o 

Have you ever tried lifting the clamp from that side? If you've done it more than a couple thousand times in one day you know why I don't mess with her.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

iain

Jeff hows it feel to finally join the real sawyers? ;) :D

as has been said adding an external alt is easy
i've got a 110amp from a vw
did it while WM uk were moving and parts were in transt for a couple of weeks ::)

i just cut a bracket from 10mm plate and drilled and bolted to the pulley side of the kolher
welded on two curved bits to tension the belt

and instaled the biggest battery i could fit in the box

as i saw only now and again these days
its more than fine for me

iain

Faron

I had a bystander tell  my ole buddy Pete that I didn't know how to use my saw.  We were cutting a log with a lot of taper.  He said I should raise the blade as I sawed to follow the taper ::) :D :D  I was really glad to hear about that, as it has been a great source of amusement for me for a long time now.  Jeff, it sounds like maybe you have your guy broke to lead now. ;)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

crtreedude

I don't bet, I don't gamble (except of course in starting businesses) and my friends know it. So, when someone says something like that - I tend to say something like "Would you like to put a 100 dollars on it that you are right and I am wrong?"

I don't bet, I don't gamble, but if someone is willing to just give me money, I will take it.

Unfortunately, all my friends know better and keep their wallets firmly in their pockets...

I love to take spectators and turn them into people with something to lose!  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Rockn H

Bibbyman, I do a lot of my clamping from the drivers side. I know what you mean. :D   The last couple of weeks I've been thinking hydraulics and paying more attention.  On logs thats in the 20" range when I go for the third face my slabs are laying at the end of the ramps so I can step over them.  I have to use the cant hook to flip the cant from the pass side and often ,at this step only, its less awkward? because of the size of the cant to use the clamp from the pass side as well.  I know the loader would be nice for its purpose, I'm just trying to decide if it will slow me down in other steps. ::)  Going to look at a hyd 40 this evening and see where the slabs are when the loader is up and down.

Jeff

Does anyone know what the approximate cost is for the loader add on? Gotta be pricey. Seems like for an older mill like mind it would be a hard to justify expenditure.

Rockn H

As it happens Jeff, I just got off the phone with WM a few minutes ago.  It seems that due to slight differences in the frame is the reason for the '92 shutoff.  The kit is normally $2050, but right now they are on sale for $1895.  Now I really have to go look at a hydraulic.  I haven't noticed any difference in the main frame.  It may just be in the braces.

Ohio_Bill

I got the loader kit because I cut a lot of 12 to 15 inch logs into rail road ties   with the loader it moves a lot faster for me. On a 12" log most of the time 5 cuts and it's done. Rockn H your right about the edging boards making clamping a bit of a problem, but not impossible. What I do is just weight until I get a pile of edging and do it.  I am planning on building a clamp in the near future.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!