iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted Maple

Started by dad2nine, August 28, 2007, 11:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

dad2nine

First picture of your post appears to be IMO, quite a bit of stain.  The other two show some mineral but it appears you have hit the heartwood.

The lumber above was one board but due to planer limit, you can see I split it. I'm not sure how long this board has been air drying but it has been quite a few years. I found it leaning againest the wall with some other lumber while tearing out the sawmill. Moisture content was 7%.

SwampDonkey

Spalted yellow birch looks exactly the same. My brother used some of mine and had a gun case built. It was not real dry at the time, and the doors did warp some. The rest of the cabinet was stable.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

Inspectorwoody,
Those pics are some nice classic pictures of spalt.  It is my understanding that the black "ink" lines are what turners like.
I am milling up a dead standing Soft Maple, that has heavy spalt in the skirt wood ;D, unfortunately it also is quite wormy >:( 
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Ron Wenrich

Spalted Ambrosia maple.  Seems like that would work, too.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on September 14, 2007, 11:14:11 AM
Spalted Ambrosia maple.  Seems like that would work, too.   ;)

I have about 600bft of spalted ambrosia maple right now for sale if anybody wants to come and pick it up. :)  Oops, wrong board ::)

Thank You Sponsors!