iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Game of logging class December 7 2018 Canadice NY

Started by Crusarius, September 11, 2018, 03:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I finally got setup to host a game of logging class on December 7, 2018. The location is in canadice NY. 

If anyone is interested there are 10 spots available 

email chainsawsafety@bassett.org or call 800-343-7527.  to reserve your place.

Pulphook

Just do it...GOL is one of the finest programs I ever took.
That includes all the mil training over the years.
Other than the CLP course in Maine , the GOL program taught me things about planning, felling, chainsaws, efficiency, and safety that this brain thought it knew it all. :-[
Besides it turned out to be fun.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Crusarius

I need all the help I can get. I can't even seem to buck a log laying on the ground without getting my saw stuck.

Pulphook

Quote from: Crusarius on September 12, 2018, 07:47:54 AM
I need all the help I can get. I can't even seem to buck a log laying on the ground without getting my saw stuck.
Been there, often. Try using a log jack that raises the trunk off the ground.
The kerf closes on the bar under either compression or tension of the log hanging up or down; good to know when.
Try to not saw all the way thru. Roll the log over to finish the cut with the log jack.
Cut at WOT and a sharp chain.
But you probably know all this. :D
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Crusarius

I have thought about getting a foot for my cant hook. get me out of the dirt while cutting to.

Old Greenhorn

Is this a level one class? Folks might want to know that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

maple flats

About 12 years ago I took GOL sessions 1 and 2. Having worked in the woods part time for about 30 years I thought I knew everything, I just went for some insight into current methods.
Wow, was I ever wrong, I had been cutting most trees down the wrong way all of those years.
I encourage everyone to take GOL, it is a great course. It could very well save your life or that of a friend or family member.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

John Mc

Quote from: Crusarius on September 12, 2018, 07:47:54 AM
One trick that can help with this (at least on larger logs) is to drive a plastic felling wedge into the kerf once your bar is deep enough into the log to allow it. This will keep the log from pinching closed on your bar. Once you've cut most of the way through, you can drive the wedge deeper, and it will actually lift the log up off the ground (driving the wedge deep spreads the kerf, bending the log, which results in the area under the wedge lifting up).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

thats good advice. thanks. I will try that when I start dropping trees after the class.

John Mc

You'll get a lot out of the class. Not all of us were born with chainsaws in our hand, so it's a great way to shorten up the learning curve as you are getting into it. As others have mentioned, even if you've been at it a long time, it can add to your arsenal of techniques for getting a tree down safely. The other thing I got out of it was a better sense of my own limitations and that of the equipment I have available: knowing when to walk away or seek help from someone else has probably helped keep me around to see my kids grow up (and have full use of all my limbs while doing so).

I hope you get a good group signed up. How else are you getting the word out? If you are not getting enough sign up, you might try letting some groups like the NY Forest Owners Association know, or touch base with various conservation or wildlife groups in your area. I'd be happy to post this on the Cornell NY Forestry Extension's "Forest Connect" site as an upcoming event if you would like. Just let me know it's OK.

Who is teaching this class? Just guessing from proximity that it might be Bill Lindloff's Procuts? I've not been to any of his classes (since we have a great GOL training organization here in VT), but I've heard very good things about him.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

I do believe it is Bill. I need to call them back to make sure everything is all set. All the classes I tried to get into were filled pretty early. I am not expecting that to be a problem.

John Mc

Filling level 1 & 2 classes around here is generally easy IF the word gets out. A lot of the sponsoring organizations are regulars, so they have a network already developed.

Old Greenhorn

Pretty sure this is Bill's territory. You will have a great class, he is a fine instructor. I am signed up to take another level with him in a few weeks. I hope we don't get any more snow.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Crusarius

This was a great very informative amazing class. I would highly recommend it to everyone. Skilled or unskilled. It was Bill Lindloff Teaching the class. He went over all the parts of the chain, different felling techniques, lots of safety stuff. Great instructor, really nice guy. (he has a timberking 1600)

Before this class I was very scared taking trees down. Never had very good luck. After the class I dropped a nice 20" diameter spruce about 80' tall. Felt real confident and comfortable doing it.  Before the class I would not have even attempted to drop that tree.

Now I have a giant pile of trees that need to be cleaned up and milled. Had no idea how big those trees were till they were on the ground.

Old Greenhorn

Glad you had a good class, Bill does a first class job. One of the very best instructors I have even met in any discipline. I am scheduled to take a class with him (level two) this Saturday, but hurt my lower back big time yesterday and can hardly walk now. Hope i can make it, I have been waiting 8 months.

Crusarius

I will definitely talk about taking level 2 but I am going to get a little more level 1 behind me.

only bad thing about the whole deal is bill slid off the driveway when he was shuttling ppl up. Have a little bit of repair work to do to the yard in the spring. oh well. its only mud :)

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 10, 2018, 08:55:14 AM
Glad you had a good class, Bill does a first class job. One of the very best instructors I have even met in any discipline. I am scheduled to take a class with him (level two) this Saturday, but hurt my lower back big time yesterday and can hardly walk now. Hope i can make it, I have been waiting 8 months.
That's one of the advantages of marrying a Physical Therapist: she can fix me when I'm broken.

Crusarius

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 10, 2018, 08:55:14 AM
old greenhorn. how was the level 2 class what did you make it? What did you learn?

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Crusarius on January 08, 2019, 08:14:11 AM

old greenhorn. how was the level 2 class what did you make it? What did you learn?
Yes, I made it but it was 9 hours of sheer pain with all the standing around. (Bill understood and after the class he mentioned that he was impressed I made it and lasted the whole day, he could see the misery in my face and how I walked with the cane.) When I was moving it wasn't too bad and it got fairly tolerable when  I started cutting. Level 2 focuses on chainsaw maintenance and repair. I learned a lot which is saying something, because I am pretty handy around mechanical stuff and engines. Spring poles were the new thing, larger trees, trickier fall lines, etc. It was a great day but I was shot when I got home and didn't move all the next day. I am signed for a level 3 in October, the only one in the area all year. See my other post in this section for this year's class listings. I am looking into setting up another level one in my area if I can.
 Tom

Crusarius

level 2 sounds very helpful. Especially for maintenance end of things. is there any cutting or just classroom stuff?

Old Greenhorn

All classes have the same format, tailgate talk in the morning, cutting after lunch. The trees get bigger and more challenging at each level.

Crusarius

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 08, 2019, 02:21:24 PM
All classes have the same format, tailgate talk in the morning, cutting after lunch. The trees get bigger and more challenging at each level.
The difference for me was that the tailgate talk took just part of the morning for levels 1, 3, & 4, and the rest of the day was out in the woods, where participants too turns working with a chainsaw, while the rest observed and got pointers on what was going on. For level 2, we had a tailgate talk, but then spent the rest of the morning getting instruction in and doing basic maintenance on saws. The work in the woods for level 2 did not start until after lunch.

Old Greenhorn

Well, you took yours with a different instructor/franchise and I am sure they all have slightly different approaches. Specific logistics, learning levels, number and depth of student questions, etc. all play into session length, I'm sure. To be honest, when i say "after lunch" I have no idea what time that was. I don't look at the clock. We may have eaten at 10:30 for all I know. I didn't really care. There was no wasted time.

Thank You Sponsors!