Magic Hooks

Started by Tam-i-am, February 20, 2024, 02:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

I know somewhere there is a reference to magic hooks named for Magicman but nothing came up in the search.

I know several of you have made them using our hooks.  I am sure they work great.

We got another call about them a week or so ago.  I can and will happily sell you the hooks to make your own.  However, Logrite will never make them as we would need to have them tested and certified.  When that happens it almost  doubles the price of the item.  We went through this process with our skidding tongs.  They were tested and we know their limit but chose not to move forward because of the cost, so we only sell skidding tongs and not lifting tongs.

Should you be making your own, the hole in the hook (all sizes) takes a 3/8" bolt.  These hooks are hardened so changing it would not be easy.  Please consider this before buying the hooks as it may be a limiting factor when looking for shackles.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Brad_bb

Now I'm curious what these magic hooks are?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Old Greenhorn

Well, this thread will show you just one use. You can do some searching for more.
Magic hook.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

The Original Magic Hooks:
DSCN0283
Made from broken logging tongs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tam-i-am

MM and OG thanks for the pic and links.
That cleared it all up ffcool

WELumberjack

Tam-i-am,
I was likely the one you were referring to in your original post, as I recently ordered a set and made my own set of "Magic Hooks" in my own DIY way. LogRite makes fantastic products! The LogRite cant hooks and peaveys are designed to be used with human power and leverage and are the best in the business (especially the Xtreme Duty series).  For a manufacturer to test and certify them for a lifting purpose was not what I was asking for, but I can see the increased risk and liability (hence extra cost) that enters into the equation when manufacturing something for a lifting function rather than a horizontal movement. (Gravity is powerful, effective, increases risk, and always wins). Magic Hooks have their uses for horizontal movement or for rotating logs (as seen in pictures in the thread link that OG mentioned) when used alone or in pairs. They can also be used in pairs "at your own risk" for lifting purposes as end tongs. A safer/more secure way to move logs vertically off the ground is with a choker-style chain on each end of the log; but sometimes that isn't easy to do or feasible, hence Magic Hooks can fill a role. 

Enlarging the hole in hardened metal can be done, it just takes some ingenuity and persistence. The standard 3/8" hole (~9.5mm) will fit a 5/16" double-clevis link pin (usually 4,700# WLL).  One needs to enlarge the hole to fit the 10mm clevis pin that comes with a 3/8" double-clevis link (6,600# WLL), if one wants to use 3/8" G70 chain (6,600# WLL) and keep the WLLs the same.

To make a new set of Magic Hooks using two Mega Hooks (plus shipping/tax) & two 3/8" double-clevis links (can be found at a local hardware/farm/forestry store), figure about $130-140; plus whatever length of 3/8" G70 chain you wish to use (Total: $200-250).
Ben
1993 WM LT30 HD, 20' Load Trail Deck-over trailer, Stihl MS250, 390, 661, 60" LogRite Cant Hook
- Anything can be firewood, but the beauty in a log remains to be discovered...
- Trying to live up to the name of my HS mascot! Wausau East Lumberjacks

Tam-i-am

WELumberjack
Thanks for your post.
This info should be on the the thread OIld Greenhorn post as well, that way the info is all in one place.

Tammy