iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some seedlings from around my garden

Started by Ianab, November 18, 2006, 11:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Spring here and I've been checking how my trees have been doing over the winter.
Anyway they are species that are likely to be foriegn to many, so here's a few pictures.

First is a rimu, NZ native. One of the main forest trees here, very nice timber but slow growing. Expect about 400 years for this one to mature, it's about 4 years old now  ::)

Close up of the 'leaves', well they are more of a scale on the branchlets.

This one is a miro, a related species. It doesn't grow as big, but doesn't grow any faster either  :D

This one migth be more familiar, we call it sycamore, but it's a species of maple, Acer pseudoplatanus. Grows like a weed here, this one was just tranplanted from the lawn under a mature tree that I have.

This one is a Chinese walnut Juglans mandschurica. It's self seeded, I guess kids have chucked some nuts over the fence from a big specimen next door. It does produce edible nuts, but they are small and HARD to get into. It usually grows with a heavily branched form so it's seldom used for timber. The spreading branches make for good treehut trees, so it attracts metal just like your walnut.

And this one is just a wild cherry, one of some seedlings Lil's mother gave me. This would be the youngest tree there, but the tallest. About 3 years old I think and over 6 ft tall. They do have nice flowers though.

Anyway thats my effort at re-foresting the back of my section. Check back in another 20 years or so  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

Not bad!
Is that wild cherry like ours?

I planted a bunch of nuts a year ago but none came up.
Have a feeling they may have been "found" before they had a chance.

Ianab

QuoteIs that wild cherry like ours?
I think so, Prunus avium. It's a European species, but I believe it's naturalised in the USA as well.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Your first tree is a good size for 4 years old. Kind of like cedar, but our northern white is a lot slower as you can see in the cedar seedling thread. But, doesn't take so long to mature. Your second plant, miro, is also interesting. Kind of like a hemlock. I find hemlock in my area very slow growing, but on the west coast it grows like weeds. Your sycamore maple sure reminds me of sycamore, although I have no experience with sycamore. The closest wild stock to me is in south central Maine I think. Your walnuts and cherries are looking good. Do you get black knot in your sweet cherry varieties? Black knot ruins most our local black cherry, although you can get some shorter sections (logs) off some trees. I had an 8 inch cherry that a buddy cut 6 nice 6" boards from a few years back. A little bit of bark on a couple of the boards at the small end though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Thanks, Ian.

I'm always interested in seeing species that are different from here.  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

QuoteDo you get black knot in your sweet cherry varieties?

Dont know, it's only grown as an ornamental around here. It seeds around peoples gardens and is pretty common, but not cut as a timber tree.

This thread has some pics of old rimu forest up the road with some mature rimu trees. Give you an idea on how big they actually grow.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4822.0

Cheers

Ian

SwampDonkey

Here is a Norway Maple seedling. 'Crimson King' from last years seed. I happened to see them coming up on the lawn since I mowed last week.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

what's the scale of that norway maple?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Ianab

I've dug this old thread up to post some pics of the trees now. :)

So what did we have...

Rimu. Has made about 9 ft

Miro. Around 6ft tall.

Both trees

Maple. Lost it's top to the wind, but still ~20ft.

Chinese walnut. Being open grown it's spread into a wide crown.

European Cherry. Big enough to call a tree now....

Also added a Torata - this spindly spiky thing. Another big forest tree. Used by the pre-European Maori for dugout canoes as it's very durable.

And an Italian cypress. It was a "desktop" Christmas tree that Lil still gives me a hard time about. But I'll get the last laff when it's a "real" tree.

So that's what 6 years gets you in the tree growing area.  ;D

Ian

beenthere

Looks like you are getting some good growth.
Is this in your 'forest' ? Sure looks thick in there, and do you trim around your plantings to keep them from being crowded out?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

It's a little strip of land at the back of my section, separated by a small stream. House sections in NZ are generally pretty small, 1/4 acre is big, so not a lot of space for "real" trees. But this is otherwise waste land that I would need to maintain. No neighbouring houses or anything down there, so I'm growing a "mini-forest".

I mulched and sprayed around the seedlings initially to give them a chance in the grass, vines, ferns etc that had sprouted there, but they are getting above that stuff now and will smother out the undergrowth in time.

We have a "Rain Forest" climate here. If you don't keep on top of things it tends to want to turn back into a rain forest. Not as fast as in the tropics, but the tree ferns and other "first colonisers" will get started on any abandoned land.

Ian

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That is some phenomenal growth.  We have a few "imports" that grow fast and most are problems.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

They tend not to be too invasive here. They wont establish in farmland because the cows will eat them as soon as they appear, and they don't seem to be able to get a foothold in the heavy shade of an established native forest. Commercial forests are generally plantation pine, and they grow faster than these things anyway.

They do take over "waste" ground, like stream banks etc where the cattle are fenced out. I suspect that if you left things alone for long enough the more shade tolerant native species would eventually become dominant again. But it might take 100 years.

Ian

SwampDonkey

Seems your trees are really taking off. They look nice and healthy to. I think invasives have a hard time in some climates. I know around here none will survive our woods. Some will establish a little grove on abandoned farms. But when our native hardwood or softwood move in that's the end of that. Black locust, box elder, Norway Maple and some others are pretty much confined to the more open areas. ;D I know Norway maple will get away around cities here in the waste areas, but that's as far as it gets. I've yet to have anyone show me a Norway maple grove take over a sugar maple stand.

Ianab

Down the back garden again today.

10 years and it's almost 3" dbh. Actually doing really well, as 1"ft a year in height is considered good growth. I'm 6ft, and it's more than 2X my height.

Thank You Sponsors!