iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jd 450 b Dozer

Started by randal, May 22, 2015, 11:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randal

Hello all, I'm looking at buying this Jd 450 B and am wondering if someone could clue me into what these loose bolts are trying to hold in place and how difficult they would be to get to from the other side? Any other advice you guys might give will be greatly received,  Thanks for all your help!   

When in doubt, saw a log!!😁

redprospector

Is that on the inside of the track? It looks like it could be the top roller bracket (carrier). The only reason it looks familiar is I just got through replacing mine.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

randal

yes, that is looking toward the back.

beenthere

Pic is so close-up, can't tell what/where it is at.

What size are the bolts?

Hope you didn't delete that pic...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

randal

Here is a pic of the other side. they are probably 1" bolts.

loggah

They are holding the track frame to the main frame cross beam. If i remember correctly they are supposed to be tight on a spacer bushing,the ones on the top should also have a spacer bushing under them .This allows for just a bit of movement in the track frame assembly. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

snowstorm

track frame to the cross beam. they are trouble. along with the other 4 that go down thru the cross beam to the track frame. they had a top hat bushing when new. that was very hard brittle steel. i have seen they break tightening the bolts

snowstorm

as far as getting from the other side. there shouldnt be a nut to get at the track frame is threaded. look over the rear cross bar. its round if that is worn where it goes thru the track frame you will never keep the bolts tight

Ford_man

If you are looking to buy get down and crawl under it and look to see if all the belly pans are in place and look it over from under it. I didn't and $6000 later I was educated. They are a good tractor ,they have dry clutches with power steering. If the trans filter gets plugged the Power steering don't work. It can be cleaned and put back in. The trans holds 8 gal of fluid. 

Ford_man

I forgot. Take the floorboards off and check the bolts from trans to clutch housing, the 2 top bolts on mine were broke and also broke the clutch housing.

randal

Ok, that helps a lot! I have zero experience with tracks! This little dude pops up at what I'm thinking is a decent price so I decided to check it out. It looks like a pretty good little dozer, I did crawl under and look at the belly pans, but I didn't look that close! After reading a lot of the threads regarding the jd 450 I'm gonna look a whole lot closer! Will do Ford_man! I'm going back today to run it and put it through the motions, here are a few pics, any advice would help, Thanks you guys, this all helps a lot!

snowstorm

the outside blade decreases it value a lot some had hydra tilt some didnt

WH_Conley

Only thing I can add that hasn't been mentioned is when you pull a steering lever, PULL. On the dry clutches there is a clutch free travel adjustment and a brake band adjustment. Get them right and don't slip the clutch. When you pull the steering clutch lever lock the track. The dry clutches will last longer.
Bill

John Woodworth

Be careful in what you pay, the undercarriage is worn ank replacement cost are more than the cats worth in some cases, the sprockets are worn and I'd guess between 30 and 40 percent on the rails, the idlers and rollers as well will be worn. Have the pins bushings been turned? From he pocket wear they should have been. It just depends on what the price is and what your projected use as to wether it's the rite machine for you.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

randal

Dozer Update! Knowing what I know about dozers(nothing) and listening to all your advice I passed on this dozer. I really didn't need one, just more or less wanted one. It wouldn't fix any problems I have it would just added more! I've decided on a Wallenstein fx 90 for my tractor since my biggest problem is access to logs. I've read quite a few threads concerning them and believe that would be my best option.  Thanks for all your advice!

Thank You Sponsors!