iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to place the sawmill

Started by teed, April 22, 2018, 11:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teed

I have made a video about how I placed my sawmills to help others place their sawmills. have I missed something you think?

How to place your portable sawmill - YouTube
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

Ljohnsaw

Teed,
8) Very nice video!  You covered it pretty well.  I like the "review" lists after each discussion.  The only thing missing (and I didn't see any around) was how and what do you do with your slabs (opening cuts)?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Skipper11A

Great video!  I agree that you should mention how you handle your waste wood.

teed

Yes I clearly forgot of cut :) I have to make a update video for the things I forgot

Banjo picker

Very nice teed.  How do you decide which mill you are going to use?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dboyt

Thanks for the video.  I agree, it is great to have the sawmill out in the open where you can work around it from all directions.  Do you remove the sawmill from the track at the end of every day that you use it?  How long does it take to set it on the track and get it ready to cut?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

teed

No I don't remove it every day :) it's really simple to putting it on the track and removing it, max 3 min.

teed

Quote from: Banjo picker on April 23, 2018, 08:33:42 AM
Very nice teed.  How do you decide which mill you are going to use?  Banjo

For hardwood I run the Logosol it gives much better cut quality, and sidings I run bandsaw since the cut quality is not so important

WV Sawmiller

Tobias,

Nice video. Thanks for posting. Very good points. The major things I think you need to consider, and you covered, was access for the equipment and logs and removal of the boards and waste. 

The amount and kind of equipment you have available and the size  logs you saw are major influences on your setup. Keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

Quote from: teed on April 23, 2018, 10:29:44 AM
Very nice teed.  How do you decide which mill you are going to use?  Banjo

For hardwood I run the Logosol it gives much better cut quality, and sidings I run bandsaw since the cut quality is not so important
I never would have guessed that a chainsaw mill would have a better quality cut than a band mill. Interesting. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

teed

Quote from: Darrel on April 23, 2018, 09:53:25 PM
Quote from: teed on April 23, 2018, 10:29:44 AM
Very nice teed.  How do you decide which mill you are going to use?  Banjo

I never would have guessed that a chainsaw mill would have a better quality cut than a band mill. Interesting.
Saw quality with logosol electrical saw beats everything else I have tested. I have compared to a mass of different sawmills. 
It is important to take care of bar and chains to get a good quality cut.

Thank You Sponsors!