iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

just bought a woodlandmills

Started by alabama sawmiller, February 22, 2016, 03:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama sawmiller

first time using a sawmill and having trouble will the scale. Anyone have any advice

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum

Like what kind of trouble?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

alabama sawmiller

its like the scale needs to be turned upside down to get the correct reading, and does the 4/4 scale count for your blade

hacknchop

Welcome to ff, to answer your? no most scales do not so you must keep your kerf in mind when sawing.
Often wrong never indoubt

alabama sawmiller

thanks i am cutting 1" cedar boards and the boards are close but not consistent

Deese

Alabama Sawmiller----Welcome To The Forum  :)

When you say your boards are "close but not consistent", what exactly do you mean?
The board thickness isn't consistent from board to board? Or the thickness varies throughout the same board?

What part of Alabama are you located?
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

alabama sawmiller

Sorry computer shut down  the boards are little off of thickness one may be 1 1/16 or 15/16 instead of 1"  and I line in fayette Alabama

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, alabama sawmiller.  Adding your location to your profile will help with future questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawmilljoe

Have the same mill make sure you drop the head a little low and raise to were you cut cables and clamps can sag a little . I put mine on upside down to how it was made then added a true scale yard stick in the middle. The video on how they use there scale make it hard.

fishfighter

AS sawmilljoe stated, lower, then raise up to true reading. Once you get used to it, it's no big deal. Oh, getting eye level each time helps. Make sure your post clamps are not slipping any. Set, make a cut, then recheck your scale.

alabama sawmiller

I talked to woodland mills and they said some people turn there scale upside down to get a true measurement  I appreciate the help just learning 

Deese

Quote from: fishfighter on February 22, 2016, 05:23:14 PM
Yes  Yes Yes...make sure you are "eye level" with the scale when adjusting the saw head/blade position. If you don't, you will get variation in board thickness  ;)
Cooks AE4P Edger

RALFF

Alabama sawmiller,
If I can be of any help just let me know, you know that I am just down the hill in the Sipsey bottoms.

btulloh

Don't worry - it'll get easier quickly.  I know what it's like for sure. 

One thing I did with my HM-126 was re-mount the pointer on the opposite side and added shims to reduce parallax.  That helps a lot. 

Making a few gauge blocks has been helpful at times for me.

Just getting drops consistent though, I started using the index wheel.  I haven't take the time to figure out the increment per step, but when I count the steps (revolutions + or - some steps) to get very repeatable drops.  Now I've got notes on the wall next to the saw showing the number of steps for whatever I'm sawing.  Once I started using that method stuff became very consistent.  Days or weeks later I just look over at the wall to see how many index holes for siding, etc.  It's fast and accurate.  My siding is three revolutions plus three index holes.

Any and all ways are good.  Whatever works for you is the best way.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.  There are good people here with a lot of knowledge and experience and they've been a great help to me. 

BT
HM126

Deese

Parralax....yeah, what he said  :D smiley_thumbsup
Cooks AE4P Edger

alabama sawmiller

This is probably a stupid question but can u tell me what parallax is

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

alabama sawmiller

thanks i got it  one more question i cut on the 4/4 scale and all the boards are 1 1/8" thick did i do something wrong? i thought the 4/4 scale should be 1" boards

Magicman

You got exactly what you should have gotten.  It is a 4/4 scale, not an inch scale.  The 4/4 scale allows for shrinkage and planing. 

You are doing very well with your learning curve, so keep the questions coming.   :)   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alabama sawmiller

I am cutting cedar for  a chest   I would like the boards to be 3/4 in thick went done planning  so I thought I would cut exactly 1 in boards and plane each side about an 1/8" to get my 3/4" boards   So what scale am I supposed to use?

Dave H.

congrats on the wm126.you'll love it .the scale does take some getting used to and is not 100%acurate .ive tweaked my holder and line guide but still end up using spacer/guide/size blocks often.no big deal.and my scale is upside down too.i think if the numbers were below thw line it would work better right side up.

Kbeitz

I run two pointers on my scale...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Quote from: alabama sawmiller on February 23, 2016, 05:41:26 PM
I am cutting cedar for  a chest   I would like the boards to be 3/4 in thick went done planning  so I thought I would cut exactly 1 in boards and plane each side about an 1/8" to get my 3/4" boards   So what scale am I supposed to use?

For that, I use the 1" scale. I needed a bunch of pine sub flooring like that and it worked out great.

JamieT

im in Calhoun county Al, also own a hm126. Love the mill, never had any trouble out of it. happy sawing!!!
Learned just about everything I know, from the greatest man ive ever known. My father! Everything else was self taught thru the school of HARD KNOCKS ;-)

Thank You Sponsors!