iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 230 forwarder differential slack

Started by whitefrost, August 10, 2016, 03:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitefrost

my timberjack 4 cord forwarder(1980)has a eaton rear differential...how do I adjust the slack..thanks

whitefrost

ive been told you can adjust it under the small cover on the housing beside the pot

Gary_C

The only way I know you can adjust the backlash on a differential is to shim the the pinion gear out further to close the spacing between the gears. If you have a lot of wear on the teeth, the gears are probably not going to mesh well. You really should crack the differential open and see what's going on if you have too much backlash.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

bushmechanic

My question is how do you know that you have too much backlash if the differential is still in the housing? If you are going by the amount of turn the pinion makes before a good resistance is felt then that is not the backlash. You need to hold the crown and then see the backlash which is about .010" for the Eaton. The cover on the side of the housing was for a splitter if the differential was used in a truck application. The only way to fix the backlash is with the differential out. Hope this helps.

Thank You Sponsors!