iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Barn Build

Started by fromrfarm, March 22, 2019, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fromrfarm

Good evening all.

I am in the process of rebuilding an old barn that collapsed due to age and the trees that fell on it lol.
  It is a 16 x31 foot print. My plan is to go with 3 evenly spaced bays. The bottom floor is for animals and top floor is workshop/hay storage.
  I am in the planning stages and have a few questions.
  1. Is a live load of 100 psf adequate for the second floor(I am basically using industrial specs). The reason is that I want to be sure I can drive my compact tractor in there and potentially store round bales. I have done basic calculations for the psf which was around 94(based on hay weight per bale, bale foot print, etc).
  2. I was planning on each bay having joists for the second floor running the 10' length not the 16'. Any reasons why I shouldn't? Also, my buddy recommends 2x10's for the floor joists but I was planning on 2x8's or 3x8's(have my own mill). Comments welcome.
  3. Last, how concerned should I be with the point load of the tractor and tires? I will be putting down 3/4" plywood for subfloor and then 1 1/2"x6 or 8 planks.

My plan is to draw this all up once I have the calcs and post it here for feedback along with posting videos and pics of the build if there is interest.

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Matthew

Don P

If you are satisfied with the hay weight then check the beams and joists using that. Then also figure out the heaviest the tractor will be with implements or hay or whatever. I would check the beams and joists with that weight as a concentrated load at midspan which may be too conservative but certainly won't be wrong. In reality it sounds like the joists would be carrying either the front half or the rear half of the tractor + load on a single joist at any given time and the beams carrying the joists would potentially be carrying the entire weight of the tractor+load on the ~1/3 points, I'd simplify that to a concentrated center point load. Don't fly in there and slam on the brakes.

Brad_bb

So you're going to have 3 bays, 10 ft long each?  10ft between bents?  Do I understand you correctly?  Are the floor joists on a second floor loft or on the first floor where you'll drive in a tractor?  There are multiple options, but you're right to worry about point loading with the tractor.  The rest of those questions are best answered by an engineer(ie Firetower Engineered Timber).  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jimparamedic

Over engineer is always good if 100psf is what you feel you need then shoot for at least 150psf. And as far as 2x8s I personally would use 4x8. I tend to always push the limits on what something will handle. So it is way easier and cheaper to build it strong to start with then to try and beef it up later.

Don P

"Deeper is cheaper"
For bending strength one gauge is to look at the section modulus of the timber. A 2x8 has a section modulus of 13.14 where a 2x10 at only 2" deeper is 21.39, both of those are for nominal dressed sizes. You will build strength faster and cheaper almost always by going deeper if possible.

You might want to look at joist orientation as part of the entire floor design from both directions. The 16' beams supporting the 10' joists are perhaps the bigger issue. If they are clear span then they are going to be under quite a load and at a long span. If there can be intermediate posts under those, things get better.

I would consider putting the ply on top as the finish floor, easier to keep it clean.

According to their service map Firetower is not licensed in NS, nor in IL for that matter ???

Thank You Sponsors!