iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinion Needed on Boots..

Started by Woodhog, June 13, 2009, 12:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Phorester, there is a chance.  The belgian I was working around yesterday was being "dancy", didn't want to stand still and I almost got stepped on, my mistake, I should have been paying closer attention.  The older guys told us not to wear steel toes and they've been at it for longer than I've been alive.

WMcGinn

I'm a redwing fan too....  I've worn them for several years now for work and leisure and since I have to wear Steel toes in the factorys where I work,  I always have the steel toe.     I also own horses.... been stepped on and no problems. (not the 2000 lb kind)   I have the same boots for my son too....    He and a friend were loading railroad ties a couple months ago and let one slip from the top of the stack,  falling and hitting a foot of each... my son didn't even realize he was hit... the other kid I had to take to the ER for a broke foot.   

I've seen where guys had their foot run over by forklifts in the factory, and the steel toe protected them.    I have heard the warnings about how steel toes can be unsafe and shearing off toes and such... but that usually comes from folks who generally just don't like steel toes...      I think the answer is get a good boot that fits well with a comfortable steel toe, and wear them...      I've never had a time in the factory when the steel toe saved me....but at home, in the woods they've saved me some heartache...  err... foot ache.    ;D

Wm
There's plenty of room for all God's creatures...... right next to the Mashed potatoes.

ErikC

I haven't logged with horses, but have handled thousands of them in shoeing, packing mules and ranching. They will step on your foot alright. Some on purpose I think, mostly just jumping around a little and you get caught. I have never worn steel toes, but I doubt the horse would have crushed them. It can hurt you that's for sure. However, these are saddle horses, a lot smaller than work horses.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

pappy19

Most of the new boots with "steel" toes are really fiberglass. The steel toed boots when crushed would pinch off your toes. The fiberglass ones would bounce back and not cut your toe.

Biggest difference between a White "type" boot and a Redwing is the strength of the heel. The White boot can withstand any amount of side hill walking without the heel breaking down. The Redwing is a comfortable boot, no doubt, but when a White boot with the increased arch and high heel is worn and broken in, there is nothing to compare with the fit and comfort, especially on mountainous terrain.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Jim H

Mythbusters did a segment on steel toes mashing down and cutting your toes. they kept increasing the weight dropping on the boot until the toe of the boot mashed down but it didn't appear to cut the toes. Then they tried the same weight with a regular boot, the dummy foot was totally crushed. :o I think I'll keep my steel toes. :)
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

jander3

I just bought a pair of labonville boots, I wanted some chainsaw protection.

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=79&idcategory=41

SwampDonkey

Well, I need a new pair of VIKING FVW79 Black Tusk Caulk Boots to have at the ready for work. The local store has had the size I want on order for two weeks. So they said go ahead and see if you can get them elsewhere, they were still ordering a bunch of sizes anyway. So I just did and as far as I know it's the only place to get them online, at Deakin Equipment. I used to have a contact person at Viking, where I could get a discount on the price direct from the manufacturer. Anyway, they work out to about $20 more than the shop with the shipping. Other shops have had them for $300 here, this one store had them on sale for $169. But a sale ain't a sale when there isn't any to sell.  Well, one pair one size too small, same thing. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jim H on June 23, 2009, 11:05:38 PM
Mythbusters did a segment on steel toes mashing down and cutting your toes. they kept increasing the weight dropping on the boot until the toe of the boot mashed down but it didn't appear to cut the toes. Then they tried the same weight with a regular boot, the dummy foot was totally crushed. :o I think I'll keep my steel toes. :)

Yeah, but that's a myth in itself because as Murphy law states, it won't happen that way. The load will land not on the toes, but between the base of the tongue and the steel toe plate, on all them tendons. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I've had a couple thousand pounds drop on my steel toe before. Caught right across the steel toe. Pushed it down to the deck and pinned my foot till it could be picked up, but no damage to my toes. My drawers on the other hand were trashed.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

01crewcab

Here in the PNW you don't go into the woods to work without a pair of 'corks' on. I have a pair of Buffalos, an old time shoe co in Seattle that was bought by Whites several years ago. I have a pair of vibram soled Red Dogs by Baileys that I wear hunting and general knock around work. They seem to be working out real good for what they cost. A lot of people like Danners, I just couldn't get a comfortable fit in the style I wanted. My other pair of hunting boots are hand made by Russell. I do own a pair of Red Wings. They are pull on's I think they're called "Pecos boots". I've been thru a couple of soles and heels. They're so old I don't even remember when I bought them. :-[
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Mbunten

I have both, a pair of Whites smokejumpers, which I have had since 1994 and have had several pairs of Redwings.  Both I love, but the Reds are mainly an everyday boot, while the Whites are use mainly on fires.  I must say though< if i had deep enough pockets, I would have a pair of Whites for everyday wear, they are so comfortable to wear.
Carpenter, furniture and cabinet making. Maple sugaring, Christmas trees, seasonal firefighter and prescribed fire crew member, USDA Forest Service, NH-WMF

1970 JD350 with forestry package, JD 2038R with grapple and Igland 3501 winch. Stihl and Husky saws

01crewcab

As an addendum I would like to add a comment on Peet Shoe dryers. I swear by them. I have literally used them daily since the mid 70's. I think allowing your boots, shoes, ect to dry adds to their life. They add just enough heat to dry your footwear overnight. I've only had to buy three of them in all that time, and 1 I bought just because it was on sale and I gave it to our son.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

SwampDonkey

Viking must be behind on orders to sellers because no word on them shipping, Deakin sends confirmation on shipping like Amazon.

crtreedude

Quote from: 01crewcab on July 14, 2009, 02:09:00 PM
As an addendum I would like to add a comment on Peet Shoe dryers. I swear by them. I have literally used them daily since the mid 70's. I think allowing your boots, shoes, ect to dry adds to their life. They add just enough heat to dry your footwear overnight. I've only had to buy three of them in all that time, and 1 I bought just because it was on sale and I gave it to our son.

Boy, you got that right. I live in a rainforest, think I need a shoe drier?! What I love about the Peet is that it is simple and it works. I wish more things were like that.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: crtreedude on July 14, 2009, 03:42:34 PM
I live in a rainforest!

I could swear I do to. Lots of wet foliage the last few weeks. Not a lot of rain, but wet anyway. I take a second set of clothes to drive home dry. :D

pappy19

When the "Peet" isn't drying my boots or liners, it's drying my gloves. They were made in Idaho I think and have been around for a few years.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Thank You Sponsors!