iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winching question

Started by jph, February 10, 2007, 02:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jph

I had a Forestor  walk round our woods with me to discuss harvesting some of the larch and spruce. As the site is on a steep slope, he  said that they would have to use a winch to get the logs up or down to the track where a harvestor would sit. Then a forwarder would take the logs to the roadside. My question is; does someone have to climb up and down the hillside all day pulling the cable to attach it to the next logs to be winched down or is there  a better way?

WH_Conley

Bill

jph

Well thats solved that problem :D :D

jokers

Quote from: WH_Conley on February 10, 2007, 04:09:09 PM
Yep. :(
Yep, you`re right WH.  ;D

Wait `til you see the muscles on the guy who carries the crossbow that shoots the skidding tongs down the slope and onto the logs. Mighty impressive!  smiley_biggrin01

Reddog

Depends on how long the pull is. Some times you set up a pull back winch. Usally a small gas powered like a lewis or capstan.
Or they could use a small High line set up.

dail_h

Bull rope. Been there done that -------------Git a mule
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

snowman

This winter i had some nice larch way down in a draw i wanted. Couldn't fall them up towards my trail without doing to much damage to leave trees so I had to lay them out sidehill and buck em into log length. It was about 100 feet from logs to my tractor.To add insult to injury there was a hump i couldnt skid over from my trail  about 50 feet down so i had to rig a lift tree at the top of it, pull each log to that point,then go back down take the line out of the block, go back up to my tractor and winch it in the rest of the way.17 logs like this, all in waste deep snow.Funny part is, I actually thought it was fun. I'm a very sick man :D

Sprucegum

;D And you sleep better at night ,  eh Snowman?   8)  8)

OneWithWood

Most of my logging is done this way.  Dragging the cable down the slope is far easier than the climb back up the slope to operate the winch  smiley_sweat_drop

Another fun time is placing the choker around the log without sliding down the slope or having the log roll away.  I learned early on that even though it is easier to place a choker from the downhill side of the log it isn't a very smart thing to do :o

Then there is the log that is just a few feet further down than the cable is long  :(

It is all just part of the challenge.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Quebecnewf

jph

Check out this site with one of these and a couple 100 ft of rope and a few snatch blocks you should have no trouble moving those logs.

Its slow but it can really pull. Cheaper than renting a skidder

www.portablewinch.com

I bought one. Best money I ever spent.

Quebecnewf

LedlieLogs

Just to chime in here. I went with the Lewis winch for the 4000 lbs. single line pull. I really like it but the weight of the winch, cable, and 660 saw is a bit much at the end of the day.
That being said, that thing will really pull for something you can carry. Pics are in my gallery. I won't link the web site but it is easy to find.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Quebecnewf

I too looked at the Lewis Winch but I don't like cable and 4000 lbs line pull is good but I was sure that rating was on an empty spool or first layer and goes down very fast as the drum fills. I am sure it is a good system but I am glad I went with the Portablewinch. Great tool and the more I use it the more I see what it can do.

beenthere

Q_newf
How does the snow affect the rope getting a grip on the capstan?  Take an extra turn, cause some icing up when it slips, or no problem at all? 
Seems this is pretty portable as in 'lightweight' for the amount of line pull one can get.
I remember one pic you showed winching out the loaded sled which shows the winch in one corner, somewhat buried in snow. Any others?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quebecnewf

Snow has no effect on it at all.The company says to use braided rope which is very expensive and has a problem with freezing stiff if the temp goes from mild to cold.

We are using twisted rope. It is a product called polysteel rope which is a type of rope used by the crab fishermen in this region. Really cheap compared to braided rope and doing a good job for us so far.

The kometick load of wood you see in the pic is all green spruce (not dried) so quite heavy. We tried first pull direct no snatch block 2500 lbs line pull. never budged.
Put on snatch block now 5000 lb line pull came out no problem. Notice the twist in the kometick in the pic caused by the amount of pull.
We just use a straight pull for most of the logs put on the snatch for just the biggest.

Quebecnewf

LedlieLogs

These are 16 foot by 28" loblolly pine. Pulled them 125 feet on the ground before going to the forwarding arch. Pulled easy.

Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Tom

I never would have thought that dog could pull those logs. ::) :D

LedlieLogs

You can see he is wearing his pullin harness. ;D

WH_Conley

Bill

solodan

beenthere

Quote from: Quebecnewf on February 14, 2007, 06:05:13 AM
...... We tried first pull direct no snatch block 2500 lbs line pull. never budged.
Quebecnewf

I don't understand "never budged".  Seems either the engine on the capstan winch would die, the rope slip, the rope would break, or the sled would move.  Which of these parts of the equation stopped the sled from moving with no snatch block?  Just curious.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LedlieLogs

The dog is 6' 2" and 355 lbs. He stands real tall. I don't know why the log looks small next to him in that shot. He was up hill a little. However Solodan I think the true stretch comes in the fact that the tree was standing dead (no bark) and pretty dry. Probably only half its green weight. So the pull was not really that impressive. In the haze of bragging about my winch I promptly went out and lock it down today loading 16 foot sticks on the trailer. So it aint the end all be all in the winch department, but I still like how it works. Not saying that it is better than the capstan, but it works pretty DanG good. I think the real advantage of the capstan is the weight. I don't mind only 150' of cable but the weight is tough.

Quebecnewf

Never budged means the rope came bar tight and I could tell by the amount of pull I was putting on the takeup end of the rope it was time to take double the pulling power (add a block)

Quebecnewf

solodan

Ledlie, I'm glad ya cleared that up, I knew that dog must be real big. :D Yes the log does loook smaller than you say it is but, I know all too well that pics never do justice to the size of a log. I love them standing dead trees for the reason you mention, weight. I've loaded incense cedar by hand, that would have normally weighed 4 times as much green. Goes to show you how much weight is actually water. ??? I like my capstan, but I would like one of them Lewis winches also. I don't think I could ever have too many winches. I would like to attach one to almost everything. ;D

jokers

Quote from: solodan on February 18, 2007, 01:00:07 AM
I don't think I could ever have too many winches. I would like to attach one to almost everything. ;D
HERE HERE!! I couldn`t agree more! Then don`t forget to throw in a few cranes and a knuckle boom or two!  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!