iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT 15

Started by IVANX71, January 13, 2009, 10:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IVANX71

Hi all.
I come from Croatia and planning to buy LT 15 but nowhere I can not find how much fuel is spent with motor of 15 hp per hour?
Excuse me on my English, English is not my stronger side

Tom

Hey Ivan,
Welcome to the Forestry Forum

You will find that sawmills aren't prone to have their fuel usage measured like an automobile that travels down a road. The little engines respond, pretty directly, to the usage.  If you push one hard and cut wide stock, it uses more fuel.  If you coast around, it uses less.  It would be more apt to be measured by how much fuel per thousand board feet of lumber, but even that is difficult to manage.

On a general note, the little push mills, like the LT 15, with an 18 to 24 horse engine, will burn 3 to 6 gallons a day.  Larger mills, like the LT40, that have hydraulics, will burn 10.  When you get into the 35-70 horse mills, you might be looking at 15 gallons of gasoline or 10 gallons of diesel.

It's hard to say because it is so dependent on the use.  I've seen some young fellows with Lt15's that saw like there is no tomorrow. I'm sure their fuel usage is approximating the LT40.

Still, all of the mills are quite stingy with fuel and I seldom hear of fuel usage as being a poblem with any of them.

My opinion is that it is more important to get an engine large enough for your application than to be too concerned with the fuel usage.  Usually the more horse power the better.   

sparks

Here are the specs for the LT15. You'll see the fuel consumption is 0.5 gal per hour.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

IVANX71

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, in Europe 15 hp engine is the only one who can be bought so that I do not have a choice.

IVANX71

How are woodmizer saw sensitive to cold, I mean starting the engine. With me, it can be up to -20 degrees Celsius. My lt15 would be inside shed, but  still it would be around -10.
Can the engine to start on so low temperature, or will I have to create some kind of heating?

Bibbyman

-10 degrees is too DanG cold to be out sawing anyway!  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

nas

Ivan

My 13hp honda on my norwood mill starts 2nd pull at -20° C.  I don't start that easy at that temp!

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SamB

I agree!!!!!! :D :D :D
Quote from: Bibbyman on January 14, 2009, 08:07:01 AM
-10 degrees is too DanG cold to be out sawing anyway!  :)

IVANX71

It's not a problem to work on the -10 degrees Celsius, since LT 15 is Manual sawmill working with it, I certainly will not be cold. Am only concerned about that  mill will not start or that breaks down due to low temperature.
Manual sawmill give a good workout ;D

thecfarm

I think your -10 would be about my 16 above.I would suggest an electric start. I'm just kinda lazy when it comes to pulling on a motor of that size.I have a 20 hp Honda and it starts and runs fine at that temp.I don't saw when it gets down to into the low teens.I can feel the differance in 16 and 10.I just can't seem stay warm with my every day winter gear.If i need more clothes time for me to head inside.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stonebroke

What kind of trees are you going to be sawing?

Stonebroke

IVANX71

Most would be spruce, some beech and oak. But most spruce, is a great demand for spruce for building  houses. I plan to sell most of the lumber, lumber around me has a good price.
I know that lt15 is not sawmill for business, but when the business start I plan switch to a larger sawmill like Lt20. I hope that the lt15 enough for start.

zopi

My mill sits out, So I have the engine and head covered, I have seldom had issue starting down to about 15 deg. F.

Your problem will be keeping the water lube from phreezing.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

davemartin88

Sawed with my LT15 for about 4 hours last Saturday, it was 9 degrees F. when I started about 9 am. Engine started right up, I have the 15 hp gas engine with electric start.

rbhunter

I hope the shed is not enclosed in which you are planning on running it.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Thank You Sponsors!