iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ceramic Saw Guides

Started by blake in spokane, January 25, 2009, 11:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake in spokane

Hi All;  What type / grade of ceramic bearing material is generaly used with circular gang saws.  Currently pouring / casting around a steel pad then machine to the proper thickness.  Thanks to all who reply. 

bandmiller2

Welcome Blake,please tell us more about what your doing ,never heard of ceramic guides .When I think of ceramic I think of hard and abrasive not something smooth and gentle on you saw plate that can me machined.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

blake in spokane

I forgot to mention we are currently using babbit for a bearing surface. And would like to try a ceramic surface for longer lasting wear.  This is on a gang saw - 19 saws sandwiched between 20 guides, when the cant goes thru out comes pieces of fencing.  The guides are steel with a babbit pocket cast on the end. Water/coolant is feed thru a port in the guide, then into the babbit pocket, forming a hydraulic bearing with about a thou. or two clearcence.  Thats's why I'm asking has anyone used ceramic for a bearing pad? 

backwoods sawyer

Yes in two Sherman edger's. One was a 6" gang and the other was 4" gang. We were running the thin kerf saws and pushing for more production. Stick with babit. Ceramic will not allow the saw to flex when it over heats from being dull and the result is saws that blow apart on you. We found that the replacement cost on the saws along with the ceramic, far exceeded what the cost of babit guides and the replacement cost of saws if you add in the cost of the grinding room. We done all our saws in house, so we ran a controlled test for 10 months then went back to babit.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

blake in spokane

Thanks for the input backwoods,  These are 24" dia. , chrome plated saws.  I'm also getting paid to persue this adventure,  so any input, ideas, is welcomed. 

Old Iron nut

Blake, you might try the Pacific/Hoe Saw & Knife Co. in regards to your request. They have a unit that is what you are looking for. No ceramic guides, though. Old Iron nut.

Thank You Sponsors!