iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer demo

Started by tyb525, January 28, 2009, 08:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Who's going to the Woodmizer demo this Saturday?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

Where? When? What Time? :) ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tyb525

Saturday, January 31st, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.

It'll be at their World Headquarters in Indianapolis, IN, which just so happens to be a mere hour drive for me  :)

I got a postcard in the mail from them a couple weeks ago telling about it. I plan on taking my mom with me, might just get her interested ;)

I'll wear my FF hat just in case there are any other member there.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

HOOF-ER

Hey Ty, read your post and saw 19 in the age, guess you had a birthday?
So HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

tyb525

Thank you, it was today actually  :)

HOOF-ER

Did you celebrate? Girls have been off school last two days and no school
tomorrow . They have been enjoying the snow. Congrats wish you many more.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

thecfarm

IN is a ways for me to go see a WM demo.Guess I'll  have to wait for Ross to have it 15 minutes from me.But I can wish you a Happy Birthday that I missed. Ever been to a WM demo before? It's a great time. Let us all know what you will be towing home for a sawmill.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Ty,  lots of Wood-Mizer guys are Forum members, so you will be meeting some members.  Not sure who will be there, but look for Dave Mann, Rick Lauman, Jeff Heidlage (Bio-mizer) Deanna Bunten and Kevin Corder just to mention a few. There are many more.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JV

Ty

Only a little over an hour and a half for us but I can't make this one.  Seems like everytime I go I buy something.  Might as well resign yourself into getting your wallet out.   :D  Which mill are you thinking about?  Just think of it as a birthday present.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

TheWoodsman

I will be there  8)  looking to get a deal done.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

sparks

I know of a new item they will be showing. It is a belted feed table for the LT15. The table feeds the boards to the blade like a resaw. If you get a chance come and see it.    Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

sparks

I miss spoke. The table will not be shown. It is not ready and is only a prototype. Sorry for giving out bad info.   Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

tyb525

Hoofer, I've had the last 3 days of school off, counting today. I like to think of it as a birthday present  ;).

Thios will be my first time seeing any sawmill in person. 8) If any sawmill gets towed home it'll probably be the LT15. Seems like a good starter model for me, as I don't plan on it being a business or anything till I'm outta college. But who knows  :). I could definitely use it for my own woodworking, and I have 75 acres of hardwood to choose from.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out for me. Hope to see some of you there  :)

D Martin

quote]I miss spoke.[/quote]  Who is spoke and why do you miss him?  I had a dog named spoke  ;D :D

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Happy Birthday Mate  ;D ;D 8) Told you it wouldent be looong till you where lokking at bandmills and an lt15 is a top choise  ;D esp with you not being far away mate  ;) ;D

Hope you enjoyed your day out mate  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Rgds Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

TheWoodsman

I was there and I was very disappointed that, even though they claim the LT40HD is their most popular saw, the only LT40 of any form being demonstrated was saddled up with the lap-siding fixture.  Net result, no sale for Woodmizer today and I'll have to schedule a "private appointment" and make another 3 hour round trip in order to see one actually cut a log. smiley_smelly_skunk

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Dan_Shade

hmm, that sounds odd....

all the shows I've been to have plenty of machines running.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tyb525

They had all their machine there, lt10, lt15 with electronic feed, lt28 with lathe mizer, lt40HD with lap sider, and lt70. They were all cutting lumber except the lt28 and lt40.

TheWoodsman

Because they were not actually sawing logs or lumber with an 40, 40HD, 40SHD, or 50, it was not possible to see the log handling ability/efficiency of these machines or the power when cutting more than a 6" piece of lap siding. 

They were cutting lumber on a bouncing 70, as I like to call them.  It was fast though.

Dan_Shade

why do you call it a bouncing 70?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tyb525

It bounced all over the place when they moved the head back and forth and up and down. Not in the cut though, as far as I could tell. Just when it was moving real fast.

TheWoodsman

In the first foot and a half of the cut, it appeared to start straight, drop in the cut, and then straighten out and the bouncing subsided.  I watched some guys check the boards with a tape as they witnessed the same thing.

Sooooo, did you buy a mill ?  A saw a young fellow with parent in tow go to the office to speak with a salesman and thought maybe it was you.

Edit:  answered my own question when I saw your thread.  Congrats ! 8)

sparks

Woodsman, what time did you get to the show? I've been told they cut on the mills until lunch. At that time they put the lathe on the LT28 and the lap sider on the LT40 to demo those. There's a short time to do everything so they try to do as much cutting before lunch.  At the end of the show they did take the lap sider off and finished off some cants.
Give the sales guys a call. They may have someone in your area that has a mill they can show you or possibly we can bring one to your location if you're really interested.   Thanks

Bibbyman

Excellent point. 

While it's nice to go to a forestry show or factory sponsored demo and see the new mills and find out about all the options,  it's also good to go talk to a couple of owners and get their input. 

Wood-Mizer can fix you up with a couple of people willing to demo their mills and, more important, give you valuable clues as to how they are using them.  I'd try to find a couple of owners that are using the same size mill as you're thinking about and using it similar to how you intend to use it – be it for your own use, part time business custom sawing, or full time production.

When I was first looking at mills,  I had my choices narrowed down to two manufactures.  Wood-Mizer gave me three contacts to visit with.  I visited with two and talked to the third on the phone.  The other company said they had a guy with a mill in my area but didn't think he would be a good contact.   That in itself narrowed my choice down to one – Wood-Mizer.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sparks

Here is the response from Dave Mann, Sale Manager:

We started the demos around 9am and made a "full round" (round #1) starting with LOGS on all mills.  Order of demo was from smallest to largest...so LT10, LT15, LT28 (complete with Loading the log with the winch, made cuts and rotated with the turner and winch), then the LT40HD (with the NEW Simple Set), then the LT70HDD55-RX (new Yanmar) and the Twin Blade Edger with the 21 Yanmar.  THEN ... we started over again (Round #2 - around 10:15), LT10, LT15, LT28 (still cutting log to lumber), then cut more on the LT40HDG28 till down to a 6" cant.  Took the cant off the mill and demonstrated packing it up for travel.   Then Re Set it up. Then on to the LT70 again with the Twin Blade Edger.   

As far as the jumping 70 ... Probably talking about the engaging and disengaging and the fact that it is set up on concrete so not on ground that can absorb the shock of log movement, etc.   Of course the beauty of the cantilever design is that it is not a rigid but portable mill for set up almost anywhere buy design.  The finished lumber pile looked fine.

Then we broke for lunch around 10:50-11:00  After lunch 11:40 we demonstrated (round #3) the LT10 again, LT15, LT28 WITH LatheMizer attachment (guys switched this out during lunch), then the LT40HDG28 WITH the Shingle Lap sider (and the remaining cant from earlier demo), then the LT70 again (finished up log #2) to wrap up the demo time.

The demo started at 9am.  My guess is ... you probably arrived sometime after 10:30 or so.

We apologize for not still having logs on the mills at that time but suggest you give us a call and we would be willing to arrange for a demo possibly even at your place since several of our guys live down that way.  Thanks

TheWoodsman

You are correct.  I was unable to get there early.  It was probably 11 or later and then I stayed to the end.  I'm in the middle of a job but plan to arrange a demo soon.

Thank You Sponsors!