iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this an English walnut?

Started by briand7878, July 27, 2018, 07:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briand7878

Hello, I'm new to the forum and am attempting to I.d. Some trees in my woods. I live in Indiana and these appear to be walnuts on the ground with walnut leaves, but don't look like my black walnut trees. Thanks in advance. 

WDH

American black walnut leaves will have the terminal leaflet aborted.  Not so in English walnut.  The terminal leaflet will be present.  Need a close-up pic of a whole leaf.  This will solve the mystery. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

briand7878

Unfortunately they are about 50 feet up. 

WDH

Maybe you can find a squirrel for hire.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

briand7878

Ok these were growing directly below the tree. These look like ash leaves though. 

Ljohnsaw

Just looking at the nut shells on the ground I'd say that cannot be English Walnut.  They look like black walnut to me.  I'd say cut the tree down and have a look inside... ;) :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

I agree.  The nuts indicate American black walnut.

DPatton

Quote from: WDH on July 27, 2018, 08:10:17 PM
Maybe you can find a squirrel for hire.
Or what about a goat? goats like to climb ;D. Probably only charge ya $300.00!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!