iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats your favorite blade?

Started by Ronnie, March 28, 2012, 01:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

Was wondering what everyone was using for blades and how how many sharpen there own.
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

Chuck White

I use Wood-Mizer 1.25x.045x10° set at .025!

It's considered a general purpose blade.

I don't usually cut a lot of hardwood, but sometimes I do.  Mostly I cut White Pine, Hemlock, Red Pine and Poplar, but sometimes I get into White Ash, Maple and Red Oak. 

Just have to slow the feed a little on hardwood!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

I use Simonds  1-1/4   .42   7/8 , they come with a 10 degree hook which I use for easy wood then sharpen at 4*.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

I use Chuck's blade and utilize WM Resharp.  I have three 7° blades that I carry in the bottom of my box for White Oak or Pecan.  They are presently being sharpened.  The great majority of the logs that I saw are SYP, ERC, and with the various Oaks and some Cypress rounding things out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Ron,all the name brand bands are good I really can't tell the differance,and there all improving.Some mills like one brand a little better than anouther.Alot depends on the service you get from the vendor.If you really want a fine finish try the Cooks supersharp.Myself I get very long service from timberwolf [suffolk].What means more than the brand is how well set and sharp you keep them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cutterboy

I use two blades..... Munkforssager (Monkey) and Cooks Super Sharp. The Cooks cost more but stay sharper longer. Both are very sharp out of the box.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

bugdust

I agree with Chuck and Magic Man. Woodmizer resharpens and replaces damaged blades which works best for me. I'm sure there are others who provide excellant service, so it just boils down to what the sawyer considers the" best bang for his buck."
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

opticsguy

I live in Washington State and was wondering if there was a more local service for sharpening?   I bought ten blades with my saw and now on #3.  Starting to think of my future sharpening needs also. 

If I try a local sharpening service, do I need to tell them any specs? 

When shipping blades, I have the original box. Worse for wear but still usable.  Who do you use for shipping?

I cut both hard and softwoods, seems my blades are doing fine in both so, any need for multiple types of blades?

I use a TK 1220.

Any other ideas and sugggestions?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Chuck White

If you find and use a local sharpening service that's been in business for any length of time, they should be able to figure out how you want the blades sharpened and set.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

A "local sharpening guy" is what led me to use WM Resharp.  I paid $6.00 for his service and had a freshly sharpened blade to dive.   :-\

I could buy the sharpening/setting equipment and could produce quality resharpened blades.  I know that over a period of time that it would be a money saver/maker, but I have absolutely no interest in doing so.  My time not sawing is spent doing something else and there seems to be too little of it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bogue Chitto

Bogue Chitto

I used a local sharping guy at one time.  He took forever to get my blades back to me. :-\

opticsguy

It appears wood mizer only sharpens WM blades.  Mine are Timber Kiing, so i need to send them to TK??

I dont know any specs so if i try a local sharpener, what should i say or leave it up to him?

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

jim blodgett

Hey Opticsguy - I am just east of Olympia and I send my blades to Suffolk Saw of Idaho - Roy Simons.  Great service.  Prompt. He'll spend time talking about  set, tooth spacing, tension...other choices you might consider. 

He's been very helpful to me and every time I get a box of blades back from him they preform beautifully.

I think it's about 9 bucks/blade for his service and about 1.00/blade for UPS each way.  I don't know how much experience you have with UPS, but it does matter where you send it from - some places are far cheaper than others.

redbeard

I have had good results with TK Ultra max 1 1/4  7/8 spacing  also lennex woodmaster blades that a local Bellingham saw shop makes up. Optics guy I Pm you the details of the shop give him a try he dose a good job he has the cooks sharpening set up.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

SAWMILL BUDDY

I use 7 degree blades on every thing I saw. I also use resharp.

hackberry jake

I've tried almost every band manufacturer. They all make good bands. I would have to say suffolk timberwolf bands are my favorite so far. I like running plenty of set, and it seemed like they came with the most. They have also outlasted my expectations. You also have to consider they are one of the higher $ options.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

red oaks lumber

i use 1/1/4 .055 9deg. the stiffer gauge will increase your production by almost 40% if you really push them. 2 weeks ago i tracked  my production for 5 days  cutting old dry d. fir and creasote d. fir  putting 18.2 hrs on the tach meter i cut 15670 b.f. thats over 800 bf/ hr edging on the mill and having 1 person tailing. all week i used 15 blades.
they are more money but, thats production in the bank.

i saw to make money not because of my love for it. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

petefrom bearswamp

Red Oaks
What mill do u use?
What thickness are you sawing.
800 bf per hr?
Wow!!!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

fstedy

I use WM 7degree for cutting Western Red Cedar poles and Cooks SSupersharps for Oak and Hardwoods.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

red oaks lumber

2005 lt 40 super hyd. 51 hp cat diesle.with a riding chair sawing mostly 10ft. 2x6. when you make every move count, no time is wasted its amasing how much more you can cut in a day.
all that wood gets stickered off the mill, still just 1 guy tailing.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

fat olde elf

My favorite bands are the ones that I get for free. Like at the Pig Roast or samples. I have used Simmonds, Suffolk, Lennox and Woodmizer. I have a sample Supersharp from Cook's but haven't ran it yet. I sharpen and set for my use and for other sawyers. Other than the established resharp people like WM and Cooks, I would only consider having another sawyer do my bands. That is how I got into sharpening. Problem was he got old and died. Great guy and taught me a lot. He had one of the first WM mills in NC. Also was a B-17 pilot in WW-2. Say your prayers
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

bandmiller2

Elfy,your right thats one of the hardest things about growing old is loosing your friends and its always the best that go first. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!