iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Collectables

Started by jeff, July 01, 2001, 06:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Do any of you guys know any thing about collecting stamps or post cards? We werew at a yard sale, and Tammy bought some old note pads for a nickel. She got them to put in the truck in case we wanted something to write on. Later down the road, she took off the rubberband holding them together, and found 7 of these cards sandwiched between. Any idea what they are or if they could be worth anything??

The one shown has just slightly dinged corners, but the others are perfectly crisp.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

Appears to be an old postcard.  You used to be able to buy postcards with prepaid postage on them.

2 cent postage is probably from either the late 40's or early 50's.  I remember when postage went from 4 cents to 5 for a letter.  Postcards were always a penny cheaper.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

Jeff,
I've got some of those too.  Save'em, they don't make them any more and they will be worth something.

My grandmother used to send penny postcards when we were on trips.  She would write them as we were travelling just like we might use a cell phone today.

One of her favorite stories was sending me to mail them.

She had written a whole hand full between stops, maybe 25 or 30.  We were passing through a little town in N.C. and Granddaddy stopped for something.  Grandmamma sent me to mail the cards in the sidewalk mailbox across the street. I was 4 or 5 I guess.

We left and down the road a mile or two she said I ask, "Grandmamma, why did they put T-R-A-S-H on that mailbox?

The cards were a penny in the 40's and in the 50's went to .02 and .03 pretty quick.  That was just about the demise of the Post Card because three cents was "just too much" Grandmamma would say.

It was, and still would be, a good idea if our Postal service were interested in encouraging the citizens to communicate by mail.  Unfortunately the USPS has discovered commercial junk mail and stays covered up.  Citizens no longer count. :)

timberbeast

Jeff,  no expert,  but I know a little.  My best pal passed away last year,  and he was an expert....sold one collection that went for over 30K.  According to some things he told me,  sometimes the postmark or envelope or postcard makes the value of a stamp increase substantially,  so never tear a stamp off.  Condition matters a lot as well,  as do mistakes in the printing of certain stamps.  See if you can find an honest philatist (stamp collector) in your area.  Ask around,  sometimes the person you would least expect will be one!  Maybe someone you know!
Where the heck is my axe???

Ron Scott

Postage on cards went up to 21 cents July 1. Jeff, 19 more cents and you can still use it.
~Ron

Tom

Relative to the cost of first class postage I guess a post card is still a pretty good deal. :-/

Thank You Sponsors!