iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar rail Grinder

Started by DonT, February 03, 2011, 09:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

just looking through the bailey's sale flyer and noticed the bar rail grinders,was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

oldaxman

I've had one for many years. I'ts one of those things you thing, how did I ever get by without this.

lumberjack48

30+ year's of filing saw, up to 9 saws on the job at one time, i used a flat file to keep the flare off the bar, or a bench grinder. If the bar happened to get pinched, hammer and a flat head screwdriver worked for me.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

loggit

Didn't want the expense of a grinder so I bought the blue rail edger with the replaceable file.  Works excellent for me.

Al_Smith

I use a 6 by 48 belt sander .

CX3

Im with lumberjack 48 on this one.  I use old files that are no good for sharpening chains anymore, and they work great on bars.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Larry

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 03, 2011, 09:01:34 PM
I use a 6 by 48 belt sander .

I thought I was the only one that did that trick.  Try it...guarantee ya will like it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Al_Smith

You could use a portable belt sander too .They do pretty well .

Chelsea Tree

Bought one a couple of years ago.  I agree with oldaxman: it is slick and FAST!  Don't apply a whole lot of pressure and keep the bar moving all the time.  Also remember to clean the drive link groove after grinding.  

It took me a while to figure out the best way to mount it.  I ended up bolting it to a 2" X 6" with a semi-circle cut out to fit the motor, I then just mount the board into a bench vise when I need to use the grinder.   I'll put up a pic.

JP

Saw Dr.

How long do the grinding wheels last on those machines?  I rebuild saws for a hobby and to sell.  Nearly every saw I get (if it has a bar) has a sad bar on it, so I spend alot of time filing.  Do you think it would be possible to use the grinder to true up a bow bar if the tang were removed?
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

bill m

I use a Delta 6" belt sander with a 9" disk. Works great for a lot less money then the specific bar rail grinders.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

John R

I use a file, but the grinder caught my eye in the flyer from Baileys.
Need more toys?
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Mad Professor

A vertical belt sander works great and gives a perfect 90 degree face to the rails.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 04, 2011, 07:35:40 PM
You could use a portable belt sander too .They do pretty well .
I wish I had taken the bag full of sawdust off the last time I did this.  :( :( :(
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!