iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dealing with wild hogs

Started by LeeB, April 07, 2017, 11:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Our new place is overrun with wild hogs. Any tips on hunting them and getting rid of them in general?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ellmoe

Many, many, many (!) years ago my cousin and I spent all of our free time hunting hogs with trail dogs and pit bull dogs for catching. Not too many people did that then. Now, there are a lot of hog hunters, actively looking for places to hunt. I have seen areas where the hogs have been "caught out". I realize that our population  (human) is much higher than in Texas, so less hunter density, but that may be an avenue to pursue. We did our best hunting at night, hogs are moving then and it is cooler for man and beast. Good luck.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

coxy

I and about 10 friends would help you out but its a little far to travel for a day hunt  :)

petefrom bearswamp

10 yrs or so ago Russian boar stock hogs got loose from a local game farm and multiplied to a huntable population.
I was the gofer while my pals pursued them in the winter.
they shot 23 that winter and the population dwindled or got smarter after that.
The local Dept of Environmental Conservation along with the USDA instituted a trapping program and now they are virtually gone.
Game farms close by are now Kaput
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LeeB

I have given thought to offering up a few hunts for those willing to pay for the opportunity.  :D

I also would like to take a few of them myself. I love to make my own sausage. Anybody make traps?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

Lee,

I think trapping is going to be the most efficient and cost effective method. Mom has them on her place in Fla and cousin and neighbors have caught a few. Just make a strong pen with a trap door built in the gate. A one way swinging door will allow more than one to enter if you are lucky. Just make sure they can't lift it from inside. Be sure it is staked down well so they can't get their noses under it and lift. Heavy welded panels from TSC would be easy to use. Could drive up Metal T posts to attach to. They put feed/bait in it with it open and let them feed a few days then set the trap.

Another option is snares which can be bought on line from various places and not too expensive. Putting some barriers up to funnel them into the noose will improve likelihood of catching them.

Check your local regs. Since they are not game animals many states allow shooting year round and even at night. If the area allowed and I were night hunting them I'd let the local game warden know my plans. He might even help get rid of them. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on April 08, 2017, 07:20:37 AM
10 yrs or so ago Russian boar stock hogs got loose from a local game farm and multiplied to a huntable population.
I was the gofer while my pals pursued them in the winter.
they shot 23 that winter and the population dwindled or got smarter after that.
The local Dept of Environmental Conservation along with the USDA instituted a trapping program and now they are virtually gone.
Game farms close by are now Kaput
pete we had the same over by long eddy ny I was logging the other side of the hill and never seen one the locals and dec was shooting up a storm I was mad I never got to see or shoot one off the skidder  :D

Texas Ranger

one year we trapped or shot over 70.  Once you catch a few in a trap, you have to move it, they are smart and will not go back in that trap.  If a new herd comes in, yeah, you'll catch a few, but be prepared to move the trap frequently.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

coxy

how come a domestic bore pig that still has his jewels is nasty strong but a wild bore pig is not that bad  ??? never had a wild one but that's what I was told any truth to that

ellmoe

Quote from: coxy on April 08, 2017, 06:31:35 PM
how come a domestic bore pig that still has his jewels is nasty strong but a wild bore pig is not that bad  ??? never had a wild one but that's what I was told any truth to that

In my experience 99% are not fit to eat. Personally, I will not kill one for myself. I have killed a few on request for someone else. My only stipulation was to not be invited for dinner! When we used to catch boars, the biggest were sent up to Pete's "neck of the woods", the smaller ones were removed from the reproductive population and allowed to fatten and flavor up.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

I don't consider them good eating either, especially the boars.  They are nasty, and the meat is so tough that you can hardly chew it.  Some people catch them and pen them and feed them for a few months to clean them out.  Not worth the trouble to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gearbox

My friend his brother and nephew are SW of Fort Smith in Texas hunting them right now .They will eat what they shoot . I think the taste has a lot to do with how they are handled . They need to be killed gutted and hung in a cooler within a hour .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Texas Ranger

Boar hog meat smells and tastes bad, no matter how you treat it.  Young hogs not bad, but needed to be treated immediately in that they spoil in a hurry.  You can sometimes get a strong chunk of bacon with that taste, it is not pleasant.

Magicman

Dealing with wild hogs is one time when it is acceptable to not eat what you kill.  Taking out as many as you can is the name of the game.  They reproduce and multiply like rats. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

B-I-L had a lease in Texas where we hunted and trapped them.  Keep nothing over 80 pounds and no boars over 40.  Immediately after killing one skin it, than field dress.  Bone it out as much as possible and get the meat on ice.  Best pork I've ever had.

Nephew with his first hog and this is about the perfect size.  Think we trapped 3 and shot two from the same bunch but time blurs my memory.

Lee, a friend in Eureka first noticed hog damage a little over a year ago and found out he is overrun with them.  He had a trap built and continues to trap hogs.  Its a nasty dirty job.  The hogs have to be disposed of in some manner.  They kill all of them but the piglets and sometimes somebody will take them to raise.  He doesn't think they can keep the hogs under control as they reproduce so fast.

I thought it interesting that he was using corn for bait but the deer were eating it.  To keep the deer from eating the corn they soak it in diesel...don't bother the hogs at all.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bucknwfl

If you are not near by and can check traps go with one with the saloon doors. It will keep catching hogs instead of a single trip.  Round shape is best trap but not always easiest.  Put a top on it they can climb out.  Over build it they will test every square inch.   I trapped, hunted and caught them with dogs and shot everyone I saw and took be over 5 years to get them under control.  Well now they have thermal scopes on the market and that is fun.  They can't hide

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

petefrom bearswamp

the authorities here used mostly live traps.
One of my friends built a large trap patterned after the havahart models.
Caught the same hen turkey several times, I guess she considered it a safe place for a free meal.
I dont remember him ever catching a hog.Another friend set a large snare (illegal here in NY) and something got in it i think a hog but got away and left some hair and skin in it.
The guy that built the live trap also built a 16 foot wire enclosure open at one spot with corn and deer carcasses for bait and leg traps.
I was deer hunting there and saw some action which turned out to be a Red Tail Hawk which flew away with the trap dangling from a leg. Not a good thing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

gspren

I've shot and eaten a few and Larry gave good advice although I'd go a bit bigger if making sausage. It may also be that what they are eating makes a difference.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Texas Ranger

around here they make pens of bull panels and t-posts, they can get broken down, but you can move them easily enough.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFXhGoDnW0

ozarkgem

The conservation dept here has stopped hog hunting on public land. They found that hunting makes them spread more. The best way is to use a trap. Then you get them all.
The state will set traps here for you. They do hunt them from helicopters also.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

caveman

I have built and used several hog traps over the years.  Most were constructed using junk that we had on hand.  The last one I built, a holding pen was added adjacent to the trap.  The trap was reset and more hogs were caught until the herd was eliminated.  They don't seem to mind going into the trap if other hogs are right beside it.  We can shoot them year round on private land here and if we let FWC know, we can get the green light to hunt them at night using lights. 

I do not eat any of the boar hogs over about 80 pounds and usually we would sell or give away the ones we shot/caught.  Several of the folks who hunt them with dogs around here cut them and let them go.  Some of those can provide some pretty good meat.  I posted a picture or two of my neighbor smoking sausage from a castrated pineywood rooter a month or so ago.
Caveman

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Texas Ranger

Those Arky hogs have always been kinda feral.   

Chuck White

Quote from: caveman on April 10, 2017, 08:32:10 AM
I have built and used several hog traps over the years.  Most were constructed using junk that we had on hand.  The last one I built, a holding pen was added adjacent to the trap.  The trap was reset and more hogs were caught until the herd was eliminated.  They don't seem to mind going into the trap if other hogs are right beside it.  We can shoot them year round on private land here and if we let FWC know, we can get the green light to hunt them at night using lights. 

I do not eat any of the boar hogs over about 80 pounds and usually we would sell or give away the ones we shot/caught. Several of the folks who hunt them with dogs around here cut them and let them go.  Some of those can provide some pretty good meat. I posted a picture or two of my neighbor smoking sausage from a castrated pineywood rooter a month or so ago. 

I watched a show on the OutDoor Channel a year or so back and they were doing that.  I still say anyone that will jump into a pit and grab hold of a healthy hog is at least a little on the crazy side of the fence!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!