iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

vacuum kilns

Started by sandsawmill14, November 17, 2016, 07:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

hey Den what does it cost to dry a load in a vacuum kiln ??? and how many bdft does it hold ??? what are the electrical requirements ( volts and max amps)  ??? it would be helpful if you could give the kw used to dry a load as the cost per kw varies so much from region to region :) and how many days does it take to dry a load ??? sorry for so many questions  :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Den Socling

Hi sandsawmill14, I'm sure that Jeff would prefer that we have this discussion privately. Total drying cost is around $.06 to $0.12 per bf. I would be glad to answer every question if you email me at dsocling@vacdry.com. Thank you.

sandsawmill14

ok den i was just wondering how they compared to the dh kilns and thought someone else might benefit from it  :) thanks

Den Socling

Maybe later. I always feel like I'm using the forum for sales and that isn't good. In the lower left of my post, there is a box that says PC Specialties. That goes a link to Process Control Specialties. That will open a new window where you can look at controllers or go to vacuum kilns.

Den Socling

I was looking at your first post with the questions. I send out an information package to inquiries and i will send it to whoever sends their email address. It has a letter that explains the system, pictures of wood we have dried, a customer list if you would like to call any and a price list which describes the capacity of the various models. Inquiries cost nothing and give you a lot to think about. The address is dsocling@vacdry.com.

sandsawmill14

4x4American

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on November 17, 2016, 07:35:21 PM
ok den i was just wondering how they compared to the dh kilns and thought someone else might benefit from it  :) thanks

x2
Boy, back in my day..

Den Socling

OK here is some basic information. A DH kiln, like all other conventional kilns, dries off the surface. You have to go very slow so that water can slowly migrate to the surface. As you know, if you get the surface too dry, it cracks. In our vac kilns, water boils at 104 degrees F. It isn't just coming off the surface but from down, inside the wood. The result is minimal moisture gradient. You can dry very thick wood and you can dry very fast. 12/4 Red Oak fresh off a saw is dry to 7% in 10 days with zero degrade. All of the parts that go into our kilns make them very expensive. For a back yard operation or a small business, go with DH. If you are interested in high volume or any difficult to dry wood, go with our kilns.

Thank You Sponsors!