iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Info on Stihl 028WB

Started by booshcat, March 04, 2003, 08:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

booshcat

Hello All,

I  recently picked up a Stihl Model 028 WB chainsaw (duromatic 16" bar) that appears to be in excellent condition, including the plastic carrying case. I have no idea of the age of this saw, my guess might be early to mid eighties due to a "4/81" stamping on the molded carrying case. The only thing damaged on the outside of the saw is the decal that shows the needle valve settings.  I've set both to 1 1/4 turns out, and the saw runs, but I'm concerned that the high speed setting could cause damage if not the proper mix.

Any information on this model, consumer vs. pro, engine size, reputation etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Oregon_Rob

I am with the Americans for better chainsaw society and must let you know that your saw is a of poor quality and could be a danger to you and your family. In order to help you out, I will be willing to dispose of your saw at a very reasonable price!

Now, all kidding aside, you have one of the classics of chainsaw folk lore and should be very happy with it. The link below is a very good explanation of how to adjust a carb.
It was started from a discussion on a controversial subject, synthetic oil, but is a great read.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/milling/message/7945
Chainsaw Nerd

booshcat

Thanks for the Info...
I appreciate your input and will give that tuning method a try.

Hate to do this, but I have to tell you I got the saw for $5 at a yard sale.

I bet it saw 1 season in a suburban home and then sat with a tank of sh**t gas for the next 12 years.

bob

Rob

Bob so far this is the best way I have found to do carb adjustments,here's is a link to what I'am talking about you can even click and listen to the WAV files to get a better idea of the sounds.

http://www.madsens1.com/sawtune.htm
                              Later Rob.

Kevin

It sticks in my mind that the high speed adjustment should be made under load but I've never made the adjustment under load.

Ohio_Bill

You can go to Stihl,s Web site and request a Free   Owner's Manual      I  got one for my used 064 a few weeks back     What a deal  

Ohio Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

KiwiCharlie

G'day Bob,

You got that saw for $5??!!!  Man, now Im REAL mad!! :D ;) ;)
Just kidding!  Great saws, the 028.  You would think with all the great talk about them, Stihl might start makin em again.  Maybe emissions issues though.
Good luck and happy sawing!

Hey Kevin, I cant imagine trying to saw and adjust mixture with tiny screwdriver at the same time.  Conjours up a nasty picture in my mind!
Madsens have some good tuning advice, complete with WAV sound files to listen to.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

KiwiCharlie

Sorry Rob,

Just read your post slowly!!  Madsens advice already given!  Dumkoph (sp) is me.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

WV_hillbilly

Booshcat   you should be real happy with that saw.I bought one new in 87 with a 16 " bar and it has never let me down. I use it to cut about 60 pickup truck loads a year ever since . The only things I've had to replace is 5 bars , 2 sprockets, 3 air filters and many chains. I can cut firewood all day and it doesn't kill my back like my 041. I only use the 041 for real big stuff.
Hillbilly

ADfields

I have always adjusted saws under a load, I learned it from a Stihl dealer way way back.   I use a screwdriver with a spring keeper on it that holds it on the jet so I don't end up fumbling with it, it was in a set of Snapon carb adjusting screwdrivers I found some place as I never buy Snapon stuff new.   I get a cut started good in a big log or if I cant find a big log I will do a rip on a small one.   Under full throttle open the jet till it hits max power then open just a bit more to bring the rpm's down some, thats about how long it takes even.   Works great for me, I still have a 1977 041 super that has always been adjusted this way and still runs great and works hard.

I have had a lot of trouble with the jets moving on Stihl saws when in use and you cant use Locktight and such on a jet, I did try that with no luck anyway.   Under a fit of near rage one day >:( miles from the truck with my backup saw I buggered the threads on the jet a bit with some Vice Grips and have never had that trouble return.   I have done this to meany saws now and it works great but don't over do it and kill the threads in the carb, I just distort them enough to make them a locking thread.   I always do this before I even start to adjust them now.
Andy

booshcat

Thank You All for the excellent guidance.

I did order a manual from Stihl but it is coming via snail mail.
Appreciate the knowledge everyone brought to help me with this.

I hope I will be able to reciprocate some time.

Bob

Ron Scott

A great buy on the 028. I was just trying to buy one off a friend of mine for a back up saw. A 1981 saw also, but he won't sell his yet.  
~Ron

beenthere

Offer more than $5 and see if that helps ;D ;D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

He wouldn't "budge" on 30 times that and wanted to just keep the 028 in case he ever needed it again.  :'(
~Ron

spreaderman

Look on the bar, it has a stamp on it up toward the saw. If it is the original bar it will have a date on it, the stamp also will include the length, pitch and size of the chain, with a little indicator discribing each one other than the date. The one I have had the date of 4/86, I give 150.00 back in ' 91

tony_marks

rob ,that piece u posted from yahoo is tghe best ive seen on the subject.and yes im guilty of cooking one. :) wish id read this first.

Thank You Sponsors!