iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Oaks in Plymouth and Cape Cod, MA ???

Started by forest keeper, January 11, 2009, 11:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forest keeper

Has Anybody from the Eastern MA area noticed all of the dead and dying Oak trees on Cape Cod and around Plymouth in the past cuople of years?  :'( :'(I know that Winter moth defoliation has been  problem for a while but I'm not sure that this is the only factor in this epidemic. Have you heard anything?

sprucebunny

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, forest keeper !

The oaks on and around Cape Cod seem to go thru problems every few years. Without seeing the trees we really can't tell you.
Gypsy moth defoliation is possible but damage by salt filled cold winds might be the cause, also. Ice storms tend to damage hardwoods more than softwoods.

A local Forester would have more information .
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

muckamuck

That was the 17 year locust invasion.  The larva apparently kill the branch before dropping to the ground to feed on the roots for 17 years.  See article below.
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080722/NEWS/807220318/-1/SPECIAL17

forest keeper

Yes I saw the 17 year Cicada's this year. They were flying around everywhere, bouncing off of your windsheild, climbing all over any sctructure around.  It was quite impresive.  Cicadas don't tend to kill whole trees. The damage they cause is confined mainly to the very ends of the branches. After the swarming was over you could see many trees loaded with red "flagging". I'm sure that the Cicadas further weekened already declining trees, but even befor their emergance, many of the Oaks were standing firewood.

LeeB

Are they mainly red oaks? Sounds like oak wilt.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

forest keeper

Well, from what I can tell, they seem to be mainly Red Oak, but it is hard for me to say because they don't have much bark left on them. Now that I think of it though, I did remove one White Oak recently in the affected area. Even though the tree looked dry, when I cut into it the trunk it was so wet that the sawdust came out like mud and my chain actualy got bound up from it.

LeeB

Sounds even more like oak wilt. Did the trees have a grey, dried out look to them?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

forest keeper

Yep, grey and dried out sounds about right.

Jeff

Oak wilt trees don't go through a period of decline, they just suddenly die.  If the trees you mention are not suddenly dieing over a couple week period, then it may sound more like what we have had here in the past. Die off due to stresses brought about by defoliation from Gypsy Moths and compounded by dry conditions.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dodgy Loner

Did the bark of the oaks slake off to reveal, large, gray patches?  We see hypoxylon canker quite frequently in our area.  It usually affects red oaks, but often white oaks and occasionally even beech.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

nsmike

Thank You Sponsors!