iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need fast splitters too keep up with saw (with pics)

Started by letsgetitracing, December 04, 2007, 07:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

letsgetitracing

I have decided to take the big 150 ton cylinder off the one side and put one of the longer stroke cylinders that i had on the double side to make this thing faster after some calulations the cylinder speed will be 475 feet per minute out and 615 inches a minute back in  that calulates to 39.5 feet a minute and 51.25 a minute back in with a 52 inch stroke she going to be moving the cylinder housings are 60 inches but i figured that the piston is got to be 8 inches or so thick  they are too big for me to pull out and shove back in with out help i know the end plate that bolt to the cylinder housing are 1 inch thick

this is figured on 120 gpm (gallon per minute) and it will make 2500 psi when fully loaded which i highly doubt it will ever be loaded that much my splitter head will fly off before that happens

the thing i can't figure out is how long will be my cycle time i can't remember the formula????
Homemade firewood processor, 200 ton log spliter, 322 cat excavator, 966 c cat loader, 3 semis, 11 trailers, 50 ton low boy 12 inch tree chipper 3120xp 394 xp 372 xp 3 365  357 55 rancher 346xp 338xp  stihl 056 mag ms 290 026 echo cs440  4 cs3000's  jonsered 2165 2150

go BIG or go Home

beenthere

You just gave us the 'cylinder' speed out and back, so you have the cycle times....right?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

letsgetitracing

i just measured the stroke the body is 10  1/2 inches in diameter and the stroke is 48 inches

what i am asking is how you measure the cycle time the conversion chart from feet a minute to 48 inches  which is 4 feet   what i have i tried to do it and it doesn't seem right anyone know??

i am about 5 hours or so from running the cycle time in oil but i just was wondering how you figure it out

Homemade firewood processor, 200 ton log spliter, 322 cat excavator, 966 c cat loader, 3 semis, 11 trailers, 50 ton low boy 12 inch tree chipper 3120xp 394 xp 372 xp 3 365  357 55 rancher 346xp 338xp  stihl 056 mag ms 290 026 echo cs440  4 cs3000's  jonsered 2165 2150

go BIG or go Home

letsgetitracing

i am going to be putting 3 deepand 3 high in the tray was wondering if anyone knew if the 475  inch a minute stroke was going to be too fast  if it will pop out the middle log when trying to split them

go BIG or go Home

Ed_K

A friend an I where talking about the same thing only we were thinking of a multipule bar saw arrangement then push all the blocks thru, decided they'd go flying.
Ed K

beenthere

letsgetitracing
Anxious to hear how this project is shaping up....any update?  pics would be real great too... thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

letsgetitracing

I got the  cummings running.  I am going to  put one of the 4 foot stroke cylinders on the other side, and take the shorter but larger cylinder off.  I would rather have the speed, than have to get another pump to make up difference. The radiators are in, the battery box is done, the fuel fittings are welded into the frame.  Just bout ready to dump 100 gal  of hyraulic fluid in. I have to plumb the valve body but my cherry picker is too short to reach in there and now i have a roof over it so i have to make a cradle to go over.  I can use a chain fall to pick up the valve it weighs over 300 lbs once i get it mounted in a few hours i will be fireing it up and cycling it.

My son is taking drivers training so I lost my only helper I have to pull it out of the barn and use the excavator to switch the cylinders.  Then i have to work on splitter heads. I was laying in bed and thought of a kool idea how to split all the logs so that they are the same size.

I can then mount the control valve which has 1/2 inch lines attaching it to the valve body.  thereis also  a small air line which now, I have to install an air compressor off a semi, and run it off the shaft that runs the hyrdaulic pump. I have to take it off and have a pulley installed on it and then mount the pump above it. The air helps the effort so you don't have to open the big valves, just finger tip control, it will be kool. It's air over hyradulic the return to the tank from the valve body is 3 inch id, I can barely bend the hose to hook it up. All the other lines are 1 1/2 inch in diameter.

I just picked up the push blocks and the mounting plates for the cylinders, they were 3800 lbs. Man I must be nuts but it will be kool !! I cut the mounting points for the lift cylinders off the loader, and used the outer two on the one side and the inner ones which are longer on the other side. I put them on with the cherry picker as well.

It will weigh over 25 ton when it's done. The  6 tires are half flat and they have 80 lbs in them I have to transport this thing on my low boy or they wouldn't live a mile, with out blowing out. Everybody that see's this thing brings someone else back over to show them.  They all say hey tires are low and then i tell them theres 80 lbs in them and then they look at the thickness of the steel and shake their heads it's funny

I had a guy call me to put a patent on it already. I told him i don't have time to really even be talking on the phone, let alone mess around doing stuff like that. He told me to call him when it's done and he will do it for me for a cut.

My son told me about youtube.com so i went on there and put in firewood processor.  Toms huge contraption came on and it was kool but the blade slowed right down after he hit the log. Mine doesn't unless i really send it through too fast and it was pretty dull. I just sharpened it yesterday I picked up a big job, but the ground is way too soft to get in to do it. So I will have to cut by hand until the frost sets in.

go BIG or go Home

letsgetitracing

It was brought to my attention that I ran all my sentences together.  I went back and edited my last post for easier reading, I was in a hurry to go to work my bad. Next time I will slow a bit and write like I was taught. My teachers (parents also they are both teachers) would be proud lol. thanks for reading my posts, any comments would be helpful in any way.

go BIG or go Home

Coon

You obviously know what you're doing with the building process.  Keep it up and keep us posted.

Think it all through then, do it right the first time. That what my teachers always told me. Do it right next time, or you're gonna have to stay in for detention until you get it right. :D :D   I muttered "Yeah right." and snickered a bit too much.  Yup you know the rest of the story.  You know what I did afterschool for the three days. :D    Gotta laugh about it now. :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!