iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Debarker works intermitently

Started by maineframer, January 21, 2009, 04:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineframer

I have a LT40HD with a debarker. Last week it started giving me trouble---not running. :)
The light comes on but no rotation of the motor and no beeper sound.
I suspect it is the soleinoid because I jumped it and it will spin and beep,
After that it worked the rest of the day.
Today same thing and then it worked all afternoon.
Has anyone had these same symptoms/problems?
David

MartyParsons

Replace the solenoid part # 016372. If the light goes off at the same time check the Drum Switch terminal.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WH_Conley

I put a new blade on mine, cleans better than I have seen for a long time. Now it is kicking the circuit breaker. Hey, Marty, are they supposed to have the same size pulley on the motor and shaft?
Bill

MartyParsons

You must have a first design Debarker called Mark I? The new design Mark II is a direct drive on a 3/4 hp motor. If you have a belt drive. I checked the parts manual and it does not give me the size of the pulley. You may try replacing the curcit breaker could be weak.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ED B

I have the same debarker, I check mine this wekend. You might want to remind me by sunday if you don't hear from me!
Do It With WOOD!

ARKANSAWYER

Mine did that one time and it was the brushes.  You could move the head forward and hit the blade with a sticker and it would start.  Mine is a direct drive model.
ARKANSAWYER

jackpine

Thought I'd bump this thread because my de-barker didn't work for the last month.Because I haven't sawn much and the weather was so cold in January I let it go. Today I took my multi-meter out to the mill with the intention of finding and fixing the problem. Turned on the de-barker and it ran like nothing was ever wrong, ran all day in fact. Now I don't know if it fixed itself or it was just scared of the multi-meter ;D Time will tell

Bill

backwoods sawyer

The in out on my debarker started only working intermittently, changed the switch and worked grate all week.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Just gotta keep the debarker going!
It is probably the best thing going for saving blades.  I know I changed from around five blades per day to two!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jackpine

Thinking more about this problem I recall that every time the de-barker did not work it was very cold, well below freezing. Yesterday, when it worked o.k., temp. was in the mid 30's. I did check the connections back in Jan. when it would not run and found I had power to the motor. I wonder if moisture is causing the brushes to "freeze" in place and not make proper contact? I will monitor this when it gets cold again and report.

Bill

backwoods sawyer

I went thru all of the electric motors on my mill and replaced the seals and bearings. The board in the debarker was corroded and the up down motor had a bad connection, anyway I installed the new board in the up down motor and put the board from the up down motor in the debarker motor because I can still mill if it goes out. While you got it opened up use some fine emery cloth and clean up the armature, be sure to clean the gaps in the armature and you should notice more power from the motor.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

customsawyer

I had same trouble last week and thought it was brushes. When I went to replace them there was a spring broken that holds the one of the brushes in.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jackpine

I sawed today, first time in a week. Temp. was -5°f this morning and 14°f when I went out to saw. De-barker worked for about one min. then quit never to run again. I really do believe it is temp. related but did not take the time to see if I could find the problem. Wednesday we are supposed to be above freezing so will see if it works then, if so it will confirm the temp thing but still not tell me why or how to resolve it.

Bill

backwoods sawyer

Check to see if you are getting power to the motor when it will not run it could be just a loose connection some where in the system.

jackpine

Backwoods Sawyer, I still have power out to the motor so it is either a hangup in the brushes or a bad ground between the motor and frame. I will try a jumper on the ground today and see.
Bill

jackpine

I checked the de-barker this morning before I started sawing. 18°f and it had 12v to the motor but did not run. Ran a jumper from the other terminal on the motor to ground, still did not run. I tried it off and on with no results until the air temp was approx. 30°f and the sun was shining on the black motor, it ran fine. I believe one of the brushes are hanging up when the temp is below freezing. The next step will be to examine brushes and springs when I have time.

Bill

ARKANSAWYER

Yep the brushes be your problem.  Some times you can clean in there a bit and they work or pull the springs out.  I think the set of brushes I put in were about $35.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!