iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Better cutting & finish

Started by cheyenne, February 18, 2009, 06:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyenne

I just be pondering before I fire up my new mill. On circular mills has any body ever put a 45 degree angle or radius on the corner of the teeth. I know it releives stress & leaves a better finish in milling steel. Seems to me it would work in wood.....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

tyb525

TCP (triple-chip) saw blades for table saws are similar to what you are saying, I think. They're only really used for really hard materials I think.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

logwalker

Try it, inquiring minds want to know.   ;)
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Meadows Miller

Gday

Yes It dose give you a better finnish on the timber but you also get an added bonus about 25% more horse power in the cut  ;)

Downhere Alot of sawmillers just but the standard 60 tooth saw in the 36 to 54 inch dia range  ::) with little to no reguard for power needs or what they have avalable  :o :) :) ::) ::) that was one of the main problems i  came up against when doing consulancy work Q why isnt my saw cutting rite A you have 60 theeth when you only needed about 40  ;) the reason i   use to get saws settup as tripple chips was because i was dealing with new mills  mainly and they had brought 3 to 6 solid tct saws to runn in rotation so instead of cutting them down and loosing the dia id just tell them just tripple chip em untill needed rebuilt then change them then  ;) ;D as tct teeth cost the same either way  ;) :D ;D I also prefer tripple chipping to skipp tothing a saw to gain hp per tooth

Ive done it to some of my Insert Bits that ive knocked a corner out of and it worked just fine but you have to get the angle spoton and centerd i do mine at the 45o mark but i dont think the radius would work too well Mate

Reguards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dodgy Loner

We had a big, bad, beast of a table saw when I worked in the USFS Forest Products lab at UGA, and it's teeth had the beveled corners that you mention.  Every other tooth was beveled, and between the beveled teeth it had flat-topped teeth that were shorter than the beveled teeth.  It ripped very nicely, but the 10 HP 3-phase motor may have had something to do with that ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

bandmiller2

Thats a valid question I was going to say the saw will lead in the direction of the high side but the angles are alternating.Probibly Simons doesn't want to make right and left bits.would be an interesting experiment,but I'am not volenteering.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

Quote..when I worked in the USFS Forest Products lab at UGA

Uhmmm....only one USFS Forest Products Lab, and it is in Madison, WI.   ;D
There are research centers in different Regions of the USFS.

What is at UGA?  ??? ??? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

I think the official name is the USFS southern research station.  Not exactly sure.  I guess if I hadn't capitalized "forest products" it wouldn't have been so confusing.  Mea culpa.  It is a lab run by the USFS that tests forest products, so I guess it could be called a USFS forest products lab :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

cheyenne

I'm running a twin balde mill with a 27 hp kohler & I'm going to experiment. It should be interesting to see what happens.  smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!