Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tree-farmer

Breakfast of my younger days was often cold pizza and warm beer.
May have to try a picked egg to see how they compare.... ;D

Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

gspren

As an almost neighbor of Roxie's I am very familiar with her recipe for what we call "Red Beet Eggs", not the same as the white pickled eggs you find in much of the country. We also slice up some of the beets and leave them in with the eggs. They keep pretty well in the fridge but can't leave them in a jar on a shelf for months like the purely pickled version.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

starmac

Other than sweet or bread and butter pickles, I have never found anything pickled I would put in my mouth a second time, period. I used to dring as much as any man alive, but they just never made enough beer to get a pickled egg down, or to eat a pickled pigs foot either. I did choke down one pickled okra once, but it took everything I had not to spit it out. I think that is a taste you have to aquire and probably start pretty young to be successful. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

so wouldn't eat pickled ticker or liver either  but you live in the no mans state your supposed to be a tough guy if you live there  ;) :D :D

starmac

I have always been willing to try anything ONCE, but some got spit back out.  I tend to think taste buds kind of goes along with what you were brought up eating, I remember as a small kid eating sardines with my dad, and at the time thought they were good, skip a few years and there is just no way I can stomach them.

WDH

Y'all Yankees just be glad that they (we) don't pickle grits. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Y'all can pickle whatever you want. Don't mean we'll have to eat it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

starmac

Wife and I was at a barbeque joint in northern Alabama a few years ago and they had fried pickles on the menu. I ask the waitress or waiter, wasn't 100% sure what they were and he (or she) said youall ain't from Alabama are you. lol I got a kick out of that. I did order some, and ate one, but the rest were left untouched. The wife wouldn't let me ask the waitress if she was a he or a she. lol

sawguy21

starmac, sardines are GOOD! I also like pickled herring in small amounts, they are pretty strong. Karen who was of Finnish descent would almost leave the room if she saw me eating them, they were a staple in her grandmother's house but she couldn't stand them..
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

starmac

By golly, your taste buds may think sardines are good, mind would think I was chewing on 3 day old cut bait. You don't have to worry about me driving the price of them up.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on January 22, 2018, 08:17:42 PM
Y'all can pickle whatever you want. Don't mean we'll have to eat it.  ;D

All we gotta do is hide it in a piece of cheese.  :D :D :D :D :D
Come here Ray....sit.....good boy.  :D

Sardines are good. I prefer the sardine steaks with the hot tomato sauce....mustard sauce is good too.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

starmac

Yea, it has been said a goat will eat anything, I bet you think potted meat is a delicacy too. he he

WDH

Quote from: starmac on January 22, 2018, 09:19:12 PM
The wife wouldn't let me ask the waitress if she was a he or a she. lol

Starmac,

Down here, we don't give gender to a fried pickle  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Quote from: starmac on January 22, 2018, 06:39:32 PM
Other than sweet or bread and butter pickles, I have never found anything pickled I would put in my mouth a second time, period. I used to dring as much as any man alive, but they just never made enough beer to get a pickled egg down, or to eat a pickled pigs foot either. I did choke down one pickled okra once, but it took everything I had not to spit it out. I think that is a taste you have to aquire and probably start pretty young to be successful. lol

Kinda like boiled peanuts!  ;D

I tried part of one!   ::)

Just sayin'!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Al_Smith

Well you can pickle about anything.Eggs,cauliflower pickles of course,pigs feet  .Too much beer you can even pickle yourself .

Al_Smith

Now then beets .I've found the best use of those things are for pickled eggs then you toss the beets in the garden after you eat the eggs .

Chuck White

Did them up last night!

Made up a quart of pickling brine
2/3 vinegar
1/3 water
2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
couple of shakes of Cajun mix
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 medium sized chopped onion

Added brine as the eggs were filling the jar!
Had 2 more onions cut in quarters and were added as the jar was filling with eggs!

Sampled the brine, tasted pretty good!

We'll see how long they last in the sugar house during sugaring season!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Does 'they' refer to the eggs or your helpers?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

Say when

Chuck White

:D :D  Good one Lee!   ;D ;D  8)

By the way, it's not my sugarhouse, and I'm the helper!

I hope!   ::)

LeeB

You might have it to yourself with the eggs.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

Nah!

Everybody there will have some!

They really are pretty good!

DDW_OR

Quote from: Chuck White on January 25, 2018, 07:46:37 AM
Did them up last night!

Made up a quart of pickling brine
2/3 vinegar
1/3 water
2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
couple of shakes of Cajun mix
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 medium sized chopped onion

Added brine as the eggs were filling the jar!
Had 2 more onions cut in quarters and were added as the jar was filling with eggs!

Sampled the brine, tasted pretty good!

We'll see how long they last in the sugar house during sugaring season!

There was a good sale on eggs here. will try your recipe. minus the hot ingredients.
"let the machines do the work"

LeeB

Thank You Sponsors!