iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hackberry poisoning?  

Started by Bibbyman, October 17, 2002, 11:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Has anyone heard of Hackberry poisoning?  I just had a guy tell me about getting blood poisoning from falling over a chunk of fresh cut Hackberry and skinning his shin.  He said within a couple of hours he started feeling bad and by evening he was breaking out in a rash around the scrape.  In a couple of days,  he had red streaks like blood poisoning running up his leg.  

He said the doctor knew at once it was Hackberry poisoning and was accustom to seeing a dozen cases a year.  Said the sap was only poisonous in the spring.   He prescribed a powerful antibiotic.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

swampwhiteoak

I'll have to say when I first read this I thought this couldn't be right.  Dug through some books, nothing.  Searched the 'net a few different ways, still nothing.  Then I came across this:

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Park/3115/webdoc20.html

Now first let me say I checked all of my botanical books, a medicinal plant book, and many credible web sources to no avail.  This person put together information from many different sources mainly as a way to come up with plants that are toxic to cats.  Also this is the european hackberry, not the common american hackberry.  It was listed as a type 5 poison the meaning of which I listed below.

Celtis sinensis - Hackberry - Sap of the plant may have irritating effects on skin (suggested counter measures)WASH with water.
5 - Dermatitis: Exposure to juice or sap from these plants or a puncture wound from the thorns may produce a skin rash or irritation. Skin wounds from some of these plants can be extremely painful causing large blisters and burning of the skin.

I guess people are allergic to a lot of things and it is possible.  Be interested to hear if anyone else has heard of this.

Kevin

Dermatitis: Exposure to juice or sap from these plants or a puncture wound from the thorns may produce a skin rash or irritation. Skin wounds from some of these plants can be extremely painful causing large blisters and burning of the skin.

http://wellness.ucdavis.edu/safety_info/poison_prevention/take_care_with_plants/toxicity_of_plants.html

Arty

Jeff

Way to go art. I find it curious that St. Johns wart is given 3 warnings including the most severe.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!