iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a 18-20" saw, best dollar for dollar saw???

Started by Shaggy, September 01, 2013, 12:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaggy

Hi I'm new here n will be asking probably questions asked 100 times before but was wondering what saw to get in the 18-20" size that would be my best dollar return as I'm gonna use it to clear cut a few acres n then either sell the saw or use it occasionally for firewood (but here in Mississippi you wear shorts on Christmas day)  :snowball: LOL so I don't need a pro model Stihl but should I get a through away model or a lower class Stihl ???

gspren

Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

beenthere

Maybe this post should be in the "wanted" forum, but look on the left column for our sponsor "Bailey's" (along with Lucas Mill) as they have good deals on chainsaws and parts. A good outfit to deal with for sure. AND they help keep this place open for posting and discussion.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

If you are going to buy a new Stihl then a MS291 will do what you want, and still be lopping up firewood in 20 years if you take good care of it. Even if you decide to sell it in 12 months time, it will have a better resale than any throwaway saw, and probably get 1/2 your $$ back. It's not a Pro saw, but that series of saws have a good reputation for reliability, and that's probably the most important thing with a chainsaw. Doesn't matter how cheap it was, or how good the specs are, if it wont start, it's a boat anchor.  :D

I pulled my ~13 year old MS310 out of the shed the other day. Been sitting for maybe 6 months. Fresh gas, usual 6 pulls from cold, and it's away. Cut down an overgrown tree in Mum's garden and put it away again. That's the sort of reliability that a part time user wants.

Like Beenthere suggests, there are also plenty of other brands that make decent saws. Either though Baileys, or a local dealer that can help you out of there is problem. Echo, Husky, Dolmar, Efco etc. Sometimes it's better to pick your dealer, and buy whatever brand they happen to stock. That's the ole Ford / GM thing.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Shaggy,need a saw to go with that sawmill.  ;D  Welcome to the forum. Have you cut down trees before? I would go to a local dealer,that you like and feel comforable with and buy whatever they have. May have to ask a few people about a dealer. But as Ianab said,it's a Ford/GM thing. A good dealer should be able to set you up with what you need. That's what they are there for. Tell them what you will be doing with the saw and they should be able to help you out with it. I don't work on mine,so dealer support is real important to me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Shaggy

Quote from: thecfarm on September 01, 2013, 08:57:30 AM
Shaggy,need a saw to go with that sawmill.  ;D  Welcome to the forum. Have you cut down trees before? I would go to a local dealer,that you like and feel comforable with and buy whatever they have. May have to ask a few people about a dealer. But as Ianab said,it's a Ford/GM thing. A good dealer should be able to set you up with what you need. That's what they are there for. Tell them what you will be doing with the saw and they should be able to help you out with it. I don't work on mine,so dealer support is real important to me.

Yes, Yes and most GOOD shops here are Stihl so thats why I like em n I used only Stihls when logging n line clearance so I know them n how they do...I've had an old sears craftsman n a homelite that did ok till I TRIED USING THEM LIKE A PRO MODEL (after Katrina hit here) n they died after a few weeks of non stop usage... (though I'm willing to try others but I'm not sure of Husqvarna, Echo, Solo and Jonesred etc... If I go cheap then it will be really cheap (like a pouln pro 18") but I'm leaning more to a saw that if I keep I can get parts for and use more than just under the warranty period... I see Husqies n Jonesred in the better shops but I still see 90%+ of loggers around here using Stihl's... Please tell me if these are as good n good resale or what... TY n God Bless "Ya'll"

thecfarm

If you brought a Husky,Johnsred,Stihl and use it on a few acres and than sell it,it should sell good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Shaggy

another quick question is we used to use Stihl 026's w/ 24" bar sometimes (though it wasn't like cutting 24" w/ a 066 Magnum but lugging that thing in the woods ALL DAY was a pain) but 90% of the time the tree was 16" or smaller but when we ran into a big old growth long leaf pine we didn't want to walk 2 miles just to get the 066... Can ya'll tell me a good saw that will 90% of time be a 16-18" but on the rare old oak I might need a 20" bar on it...

barak

I think that buying a "throw away model" might be the more expensive choice in the end, if in the middle of working the saw will stop. I think the best for you is one of the "farm & ranch" saws of stihl: 270-1 / 280-1 / 290-1

mad murdock

Baileys has a decent sale going on right now on Dolmar saws. I think that the Makita(Dolmar) or echo lines offer the most bang for your buck in a new saw. Otherwise, I would look at craigslist in your area for a good used saw.  There are lots of them out there. Welcome to the Forestry Forum, BTW!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Shaggy

thanks for everyones input, I have more questions BUT instead of 20 questions in one post, I'll start a new one... 8)

Pullinchips

Many saws can pull an 18" bar its just how fast do you want to cut something. Is it something you want to keep on hand to cut up the occasional downed tree thats 20"s or do you want to cut 5 cords of firewood a year!! You can get a husky 435 at lowes with a 18" bar for $300 and you can get a hisky 372xp with an 18" bar for like $850, the difference over $500 and speed in cut as well as ease to work on weight etc.

You really need to go with more than bar length.
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

NCFarmboy

Quote from: Pullinchips on September 10, 2013, 01:46:27 PM
Many saws can pull an 18" bar its just how fast do you want to cut something. Is it something you want to keep on hand to cut up the occasional downed tree thats 20"s or do you want to cut 5 cords of firewood a year!! You can get a husky 435 at lowes with a 18" bar for $300 and you can get a hisky 372xp with an 18" bar for like $850, the difference over $500 and speed in cut as well as ease to work on weight etc.

You really need to go with more than bar length.
Totally agree!!!!!! 
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

thecfarm

And I would think how long it would last too. Put that 425 in the woods for 4-6 hours a day,day after day and the 372 would still be going when the 425 has died.

Shaggy

I'm gonna basically clear cut 2-3 acres as fast as my sawmill can cut it up n then only use the saw on a very limited basis as you don't see more than 3-10 days that are REALLY cold here n need to fire up the wood stove... so speed isn't my #1 priority but I want one thats more dependable than a porman's I mean a poulan saw...

I saw (no pun) this sale n wanted to know what ya'll think http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jonseredreg%3B-cs-2255-chainsaw-carb-compliant
a Jonsred 20" bar w/ 3.5 HP 55cc engine... for $350.00

Finn1903

Really depends on your price range.  Unlimited then I would go with a  Stihl 362, otherwise go with a farm/ranch line from Stihl.  Or you could go used.  I got all my saws used either of fleabay or craigslist.  the 028 super needed a new plastic gas tank, which i got off of fleabay and  took me a hour to swap out.  The 028 is the oldest and best saw, just does not have a chain break. 
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

AdkStihl

Quote from: Finn1903 on September 14, 2013, 08:51:53 PM
I would go with a  Stihl 362,
Even being a STIHL guy, I'm gonna have to say the 362 is not his best choice. Definitely not STIHLS best engineering efforts on that one.
You want my honest opinion....Im gonna recommend 2 saws and neither one is a STIHL.

1) 562XP...(if 20" bar is used)....although it will pull a 24" with ease
2) 550XP...(if 18" bar is used)....muffler modded....will pull a 20"

Yup....pro saws cost more, but they also retain a very good resale value!!
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!