iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Drying Hickory and White Oak

Started by Frank_B, July 13, 2005, 01:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycon

You could weigh a couple of boards every other day for a week or 3 and see if there losing any more weight. If they're still losing water there not at EMC (E=Equilibrium) .  Would not hurt to get the boards off to the kiln if there below 20%.  I'd expect the cost to be 1/3 of what it would of been to go from green to 6%. 
For the meter go to the kiln operators place and try it out on his kiln stickers and  against his meter. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of  checking its accuracy. 

Lot of stuff..

Den Socling

First the meter: I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate but the readings sound very accurate. Maybe it works!  ;)

Now for the wood: lot's of companies predry to reduce drying cost and, if they have crappy kilns, to reduce degrade. I would think that, if you delivered that pack stickered and banded, somebody would add it to their charge. And it wouldn't be the drying charge for green wood.

Frank_B

Thanks for the suggestion to take the meter to the kiln - he's just down the road a piece.  I'll take it by his place tomorrow and see if it reads the same as his.

As far as banding and delivering the stack intact - man - do I wish I could do that! :D  My heavy equipment is a Sears 18 horse, 42 inch cut lawn mower with a little wagon.  I'm dreading taking the stack down and loading it onto the trailer - I may have to cut some of the length off so it doesn't drag on the road  :-[ :-[

At any rate, I'm hoping we're close to working with the wood, and can finish getting it dried for not a lot of cash.  The local kiln operator told me .30/bft last summer, and I saw him at a home show a few weeks back - he still wants .30/bft.  There's roughly 375 bft between the hickory and white oak, so that would be about $112.50 to get it dried. :-\

Thanks,
Frank

woodbeard

Is there any reason the wood for the trailer decking really needs to be kiln dried? I would think that air dried would be fine for this application. Many people even use it green. Just a thought.  :)

Frank_B

Quote from: woodbeard on April 06, 2006, 09:07:20 AM
Is there any reason the wood for the trailer decking really needs to be kiln dried? I would think that air dried would be fine for this application. Many people even use it green. Just a thought. :)

Fortunately, cooler heads and time to think has prevailed...  trailer decking is no longer on the table.  There are two projects for the wood currently being discussed.  First, are small tables modeled after work my Dad did before he passed away.  Having something like he put together made from lumber that came from our woods would be nice for my kids.  Second, my wife - soon to be 1st time grandmother - thinks I should be building a couple of toy boxes for the fresh crop of kids that will be coming our way.  I learned a long time ago not to argue with that woman!  ;D ;D

Besides, after coddling this wood for nearly a year, it seemed downright silly to bolt it to a trailer bed... :D

woodbeard

Ya, thats partly why I use it green for stuff like that- so I don't get too attached to it.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!