iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CANT HOOK or LOG PEAVEY for turning logs

Started by alabama, February 05, 2017, 11:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I have found the handiest thing around a circular mill is a longish peavey and a shortish cant hook. A long cant hook always seem to hit the overhead or other parts of the mill. A two foot cant hook will turn a large cant and not get in the way. Establish a location for both, a pocket works out good that way you can reach around and grab it without the search. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Upper on February 13, 2017, 11:27:40 AM
My son bought me this 60 incher,but I am having a little trouble with it...

I saw a fella selling one of those on ebay the other day! I thought it was kinda unique!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Tam-i-am on February 13, 2017, 12:40:32 PM
In order to fit in the box we have to reverse the direction of the hook.  On the hook is a sticker that tells you to change the direction of the hook.  On the directions and warranty sheet it tells you to reverse the direction of the hook before use.
Your counting on these guys being able to read! Me thinks some just look at the pictures.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Magicman

Reading through this topic I noticed that since I posted the picture in my Reply #25, another Logrite has been added to my Logrite Corral:

Six is a much better number anyway.  logrite_cool

Last week I was dealing with larger logs so the Blue 60" Cant Hooks were used.  This week the logs are much smaller so only the two Orange 48" Cant Hooks have seen any service.  Not only are the lengths different but the hooks are also properly sized to fit different size logs. 

I added the Orange reflective tape to each of them.  The Green Hookaroon is a "one of a kind" and is the only Green one ever produced.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

60"Log rite Peavey is my go to tool around the mill,I use it as a pry bar, and not just for logs, but moveing rocks, anything needs prying, used to tear down a deck once,even prying logs on the mill, the point works great I have a smaller  canthook when I'm moving cants on the mill.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

4lane

Are you able to put on a replacement point to convert a peavy to a cant or vice versa?

Jeff

No, why would you? Unless you are the kind of guy that swears by screwdrivers with various bits stored in the handle, or uses a pipe wrench for a hammer. Lumberjacks don't do quirky!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

cutterboy

My dad used to use a long peavy and a short cant hook. I use a long cant hook and a short cant hook..... and a medium lenght cant hook. ;)
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

I own two non-Logrite peaveys but they are never used except one for a pry bar.  My Logrite cant hooks lay beside the sawmill, one on each end, and I have never seen the value of being able to stick them in the ground.  The end on a cant hook is much more valuable to me because it grips that part of the log. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I still like my Peavey, if for no other reason than standing it up😊 If I had a manual mill I'd probably tend towards a cant hook, but I honestly use mine to pry logs apart and such, as much as I do for rolling logs. But that's just me. I think the Magicman saws more in a good week than I do all year, so anyone reading, I'd definitely give more weight to his opinion and set up😊👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

The point comes in handy to stick in the grounds if there is nothing to lean the peavey against.
That point really helps to pry the logs apart. 
But as I said way back in my other post on this thread, it's a region thing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

I don't understand about prying logs apart. Why would you have to do that? If two logs are against each other just use your cant hook and roll one away. I must be missing something.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

When they are piled on top of each other.
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

Working a log deck by hand or logs on the ground you 'jump' them all the time with the peavy point. Logs don't roll straight and using a wedge block and turning the log against it is more work than prying or popping with the point. Go to a log rolling contest and watch.

thecfarm

I also use it to pry the logs apart behind the 3 point winch to get the chains out sometimes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!