iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A look inside the big old oak

Started by Troy, January 28, 2006, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I finally finished milling the big white oak.  After opening up and leveling the top third of the last log, we wet it down to reveal the grain pattern.  Sure was pretty. 

Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

dwasson

That is a beautiful Oak, thanks for sharing.

Part_Timer

THat's a nice looking oak.  Did ya flip it so you could have one giant slab??

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Troy

Tom - I tried to get a slab cut out with my clip on slabber.  It was my first time using the slabber and it did not work out too well on this log.  There were several limbs that came together on this piece and the slabber would run up the knot of one limb on the outside edge.  Wasn't sure if it was me, the slabber, the log, or which combination of the three that was causing the problem.  I was running out of daylight and had to revert back to the blade and get the log taken down.  This thing was 12' long, and a little over 40" diameter on the wide end plus five feet across at the widest part of the slab.  Needless to say there was no way we were going to flip that thing!
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

Frank_Pender

Troy, I am supprised that your slabber had that kind of challenge. When I have used mine with the Mobile Dimension mill, there was never and riding up or down with I came to knots; either in the Oaks or the Douglas Fir.
Frank Pender

Part_Timer

Sorry I can't help with the slabber I dont' have on yet.  I know that there are a couple of folks on here that have em though.  I'm sure they'll chime in.

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Troy

Frank - I have several crotch logs to slab here at home.  I was on the road about 100 miles from home working on this job and I was running out of time.  I'll figure out what the problem is when I have more time to mess with it.  Probably just a setup issue.  Should not have tested it out on such a large log for the first time anyway.  At least I know now how to put it on and take it off!
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

TinMan

Troy

How many BF did you cut on that job??

Tracy

jpgreen

Truly awesome work Troy..  8)

You're becoming a seasoned pro in what- bout a weeks worth of Peterson time?

That's what a capable person can do with a great peice of equipment...  smiley_beertoast smiley_beertoast
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Troy

Tracy - the total BF on this one did not come out as high as I had estimated due to a lot of waste wood deep inside a couple of the logs.  The first log, butt log, yeilded about 900 BF!  The total haul was somewhere around 1,750 BF.  I milled the logs and cut up the waste in exchange for the lumber so I didn't keep track as I was cutting.  I brought home 950 BF the other day and have the remainder to pick up at a later date.  The family wanted to redo the boards in the bed of the old truck so we cut them from that tree.  That will be something neat to remember it by.

JP - you have got to get a blade into some wood!  It is hard to stop.  I brought my mill back home yesterday and planned on setting it back up on my property today and covering it up to have it ready for next weekend.  I was plenty tired from working on the big oak and hauling/stacking lumber so I needed the break.  Well since I was setting back up from scratch I figured I better go ahead and put a log up on bunks first.  I had a fair size red oak log 13' long on top of the pile so I forked it into place with the tractor and comenced to setting up the frame, leveling the rails, etc... Got everything together and figured I would check the fluids then put the tarp over the saw head then go back to the house and see what the wife and daughter were up to.  Called home on the cell phone to tell them I would be home shortly and the wife said they were taking a nap.  OK, I'll hang out in the woods a little while longer.  Well 150 BF of red oak later I finally packed up and went home! 
Peterson ATS 8" 27hp

jpgreen

I got another engine coming this week.  Doing taxes now, and then I'll get going on getting the beast online.

Where do you store all of your wood?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Captain

Troy, on the slabber, make sure that the chain is tight, and the bar has no lead or sag...the rest should be fine.

It is not uncommon for a hand sharpened cahin to go in one direction, but I know yours was a new chain.

Call or PM with questions if you need to!!

Captain

toxedo_2000

How much would I give to have a such nice wood to mill ?
To mill or not to mill, that is the question
Shakespeare
Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

Thank You Sponsors!