iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to thin the herd.

Started by hotdoggertom, December 09, 2019, 05:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdoggertom

Two years ago I purchased 121 acres in Eastern Oregon, of that 121 acres about 50 acres is forested, almost exclusively Ponderosa Pine. There is a big difference in size of the trees. Largest on the property has got to be 3-4 feet diameter, with an average of around 17-21 inches. It is terribly overpopulated and chocking out a lot of other trees, I have noticed the negative effects on the trees when they are so close together. 
I would like to have the property thinned for multiple reasons, it would be healthier for my land, fire management (as it is I can not get vehicle on the land to clear underbrush because of the trees), I wouldn't mind the extra cash, and eventually I would like to be able to plant the remaining open land with trees but need to be able to get to it with more than just my feet.  There was timber cruise report done on this land in 1999 and found there to be 11"-16" 65MBF, 17"21" 134 MBF, 22"+ 81MBF. There was never any logging done after this report was completed so this with 20 years of growth and some tree death is what I have going on.

My question, does anyone have suggestions on where to find someone to thin about 50% of the trees? The research I have found is that most are not interested because its not enough land to make it worth their time. I am able and willing to fall the trees my self but that is where my usefulness stops, how the hell do I get them off the property and to a mill to sell?

And I guess for later on down the road, any recommendations for replanting/planting the rest of the property? Tree type? distance between trees? anything would help.

Thank You.
Tom

BaldBob

Based on the volume shown for the 1999  cruise, it is not unreasonable to expect that 50% of you current volume could be 200Mbf. If there are any mills within economic haul distance, that is more than enough to interest a buyer. However, just taking 50% of the volume without choosing the proper trees to be left to best meet your goals for the land is a receipe for disappointment. 

I strongly recommend that you acquire the services of a consulting forester to : 1. Mark the timber for a harvest designed to best meet your long term goals for the land.  2. Market the timber sale to get the best price for the timber harvested. ( the potential gain from this alone can likely more than make up for the consultants fee) 3.Prepare and administer the timber sale contract to assure  getting the desired results. 

You don't say where in Eastern Oregon the land is located. If its in NE Oregon, I recommend Chuck Sarrett, who is a member of the Association of Consulting Foresters, and who I know to be a very honest and down to earth forester (worked with him for many years). He is in La Grande (541)963-6685. If you contact him,say Bob W says Hi.

barbender

There are some outfits running Ponsse cut to length equipment in Eastern WA, I don't know about Oregon. Ctl equipment can do a really beautiful job thinning.
Too many irons in the fire

hotdoggertom

Quote from: BaldBob on December 10, 2019, 01:06:23 AM
Based on the volume shown for the 1999  cruise, it is not unreasonable to expect that 50% of you current volume could be 200Mbf. If there are any mills within economic haul distance, that is more than enough to interest a buyer. However, just taking 50% of the volume without choosing the proper trees to be left to best meet your goals for the land is a receipe for disappointment.

I strongly recommend that you acquire the services of a consulting forester to : 1. Mark the timber for a harvest designed to best meet your long term goals for the land.  2. Market the timber sale to get the best price for the timber harvested. ( the potential gain from this alone can likely more than make up for the consultants fee) 3.Prepare and administer the timber sale contract to assure  getting the desired results.

You don't say where in Eastern Oregon the land is located. If its in NE Oregon, I recommend Chuck Sarrett, who is a member of the Association of Consulting Foresters, and who I know to be a very honest and down to earth forester (worked with him for many years). He is in La Grande (541)963-6685. If you contact him,say Bob W says Hi.
BaldBob, Thank you for the information. Yes I had planned to find someone to manage the process for me because I have never managed forest land before and would like to make the right decision for my land. I am located outside of Pendleton along the Umatilla River so LaGrande is very close about an hour, I will give Chuck Sarrett a call. 

BradMarks

Hotdoggertom:  If you want to PM me I can give you the names of some other foresters in the area. Best to inquire with more than one, as they can be busy people!  Brad.

Thank You Sponsors!