iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Three point hitch log skidding grapple

Started by logman81, February 10, 2011, 02:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill m

I think my grapple weighs less than 400 lbs. Don't let the looks fool you. I have used mine on 45 and 55 hp tractors and haven't broke it yet. It works great for brush. You can pick up 2 or 3 piles of brush at one time and carry them to the chipper or burning pile. As for bunching for a skidder you are limited by the amount your 3 pt. hitch can pick up. If your pulling firewood size trees ( about 14 inches dbh and less ) it works good but anything much bigger and full length your tractor may struggle to pick it up.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

logman81

Thanks bill m for the help I have not ruled out iron and oak I will have to do some close comparing. Most of the timber where I live is not to big for the most part 16 dbh +/_. I do come across some monster white pines but not to often. Sounds to me like this what I have been needing for a long time now. Bill where did you buy yours?
Precision Firewood & Logging

bill m

I got mine at Green County Power in Greenville NY but if you do a dealer search on the Iron and Oak web site you can find a dealer closer to you. If you want to drive up here to Mass sometime you can see mine in operation and try it out on my tractor.

logman81

Thanks bill m I did a dealer search and found three within twenty five miles from me. I may just take you up on your offer, would love to see all your toys!

Piston

Logman,
I'm surprised I've never come across the Ryan grapple you mentioned.  I've done a lot of research on these grapples in the past.  I just checked their website.  Are you interested in the 48" or 60"? 
I've talked with Bill a bit about his grapple in the past and based on his recommendations and use I would certainly look very hard at the Iron and Oak grapple before making a decision.   ;)
Regarding the hydraulic flow, you would have more than enough at 16gpm.  Is that your total flow including power steering pump or your valve flow?  That is a good amount if it's your valve flow, must be a good sized tractor.  With that much flow, you would most likely want a flow restrictor inline for the cylinder, as you may be closing the grapple TOO fast for your liking.  I know you can feather the flow, but sometimes it's difficult.  I am putting a flow restrictor on my stump grinder because my tractors hydraulics move the cylinders too fast, even with careful feathering, and my flow is only 9.6GPM. 

Please keep us posted on what you decide, I"m very very interested in these 3pt hitch grapples.   ;D

Bill,
I had no idea your Iron and Oak grapple weighed around 400lbs or so.  I always thought it was close to 700lbs  due to the "shipping weight" they mention, that is really good to know that it doesn't weigh that much! 

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

logman81

Piston the grapple from ryans equipment hasn't been out very long maybe a couple of years. Seems like a good product to me. I'm thinking the 48" would be best for my tractor. My tractor has two pumps one for steering and one for hydraulics. The one for hydraulics is 16 gpm total flow the steering I think is 8gpm. It's not a huge tractor only 40hp. But it is heavy about 6000 with out loader. With loader and winch about 8000. I have narrowed it down to the ryans and Iron & oak grapples. I'll have to some closer comparisons when I get some free time.

Piston

Logman,
I have a GREAT idea! 

How about YOU buy the Ryan's grapple, then, you invite me down to try out your grapple, and then I'll try out Bill's grapple some time, and then I'LL know which one to buy?  Sound like a good idea?  :D :D :D

I'll be adding one of these 3pt grapples to my stable within the next year or so.  For what I do and the size trees I would be using it on, I really think it would be an excellent match.  Good luck with your choice, I'm sure either will be great.   ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Holmes

Quote from: Piston on November 03, 2012, 06:35:36 PM
Logman,
I have a GREAT idea! 

How about YOU buy the Ryan's grapple, then, you invite me down to try out your grapple, and then I'll try out Bill's grapple some time, and then I'LL know which one to buy?  Sound like a good idea?  :D :D :D

I'll be adding one of these 3pt grapples to my stable within the next year or so.  For what I do and the size trees I would be using it on, I really think it would be an excellent match.  Good luck with your choice, I'm sure either will be great.   ;)
You, my friend are going to need more tractors to handle all the attachments... ;)
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

Piston has attachments like Al smith has chainsaws.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

Hello,
My name is Matt, and I am an attachment-a-holic.   whiteflag_smiley

:D :D :D
-Matt

thecfarm

You can still you the symbols for AA.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Sounds good to me piston, I'm leaning more to the ryan's grapple I like how it is built. Plus the grapple can easy be removed and put on a loader crane that I may build in the future for my equipment trailer.

bill m

When I bought my grapple it was less than $1600 but prices have gone up a lot. One place has it listed for $3600 and another has it for $2900.

Piston

Quote from: bill m on November 04, 2012, 02:27:56 PM

When I bought my grapple it was less than $1600 but prices have gone up a lot. One place has it listed for $3600 and another has it for $2900.

Wow that is amazing.  It's incredible how the cost of steel has gone up so much.

Logman,
Have you seen my thread on these logging grapples? 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=55898.0
It may have some useful info for you.  I was also interested in being able to remove the grapple to use on my backhoe for sorting logs if the need ever arised. 
-Matt

bill m

Just found the Iron and Oak grapple on another web site for $1900.

logman81

bill m

logman81

teamgreen

I started out with the wallenstien 36" grapple years ago, great setup for reasonable size wood, perfect for pole wood or tree length firewood, did tear it apart a few times around the rotating pin at the top, great for brush and small dia poles also, bought a valby 76" grapple last year absolutely love it. once you put one on the back of a tractor and dont have to mess with chokers youll never want to go back, hell I even use the grapple to move my log splitter around the lot...

Thank You Sponsors!