iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

compressed air pruning tools

Started by straightree, March 07, 2010, 06:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightree

As my pruning work increases and my physical strength goes the other way, I am considering to draw some help from compressed air power. I am in Spain. There is extensive use and experience for  compressed air actuated  pruning scissors in vineyards, fruit orchards and  urban maintenance. Less so for forestry, but I do not foresee special difficulties with them.

There is a particular tool that is specially promising, but I have not seen it used. It is a small chain saw (about 4 Lb) held at the end of a 6 ft pole and actuated by compressed air. The Italian company Campagnola, for instance, makes them. Are such equipment being used in USA? Has anybody had any experience?

stonebroke

The power companies use hyd. pruners in their bucket trucks but I have never seen a air pruner.

Stonebroke

Phorester

I'vd had a little experience with them on pruning black walnut trees years ago.  The one I used, and I don't remember the manufacturer, had blades that were too bulky to get close enough to the tree trunk or branch you were pruning to. They would leave a short stub which you then had to prune off with hand pruners or saw, so there was little advantage to using them. 

If possible, try them out before you buy.

sjfarkas

I use them with our apple trees.  I think they are great.  I don't know how they would work with pine.  They do require some maintanance.  4 guys pruning and one on the tractor can get 600+ trees a day.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

straightree

Thank you for all your comments. I have little doubts for scissors, but have some for chain saw. Sjfarkas, are you talking of scissors, or do you include compressed air driven chain saw? (chain saw is basically to cut out thicker branches, close to tree trunk)

straightree

Stonebroke. I had never heard of hydraulic pruning tools, it sounds good. It has the advantage of not requiring air compressor, but seem to weight a little more than pneumatic tools, and use shorter poles. Probably, it is a trade-off.

stonebroke

The power company uses them in bucket trucks . so the weight and shortness is not a problem.

Stonebroke

sjfarkas

We have the chainsaw too.  It spins fast but doesn't have as much torque as a conventional.  it'll cut 4-5" apple wood pretty easy.  the pruners will cut 1.5" apple limbs pretty easy too. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Thank You Sponsors!